84 Aero 50 - Hard Start Out of Control Revving

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

blake05
Noob
Noob

84 Aero 50 - Hard Start Out of Control Revving

Post by blake05 »

Hi all,

First time poster. Recently got an 84 aero 50 and rode it for a couple of weeks. Was running okay - perhaps a little rich as the mpg seemed to be lower than expected but wasn't tracking - but it had a very hard cold start. After warm would start with no problem electric or kick.

I figured it was something in the carb so i took it apart and cleaned it. Still no start, although now I can get it to start with the two fingers over the air intake trick. The problem is if I take my fingers off the air intake it revs like it is going to blow up, totally out of control with no throttle. I though maybe an air leak? If I keep my fingers (or the filter pad) over the intake directly to limit air it runs totally fine with normal idle.

Any ideas would be appreciated as i am a noob. I ordered a new bystarter to thinking it could be that but didn't realize it was a different plug in. Any tips on converting the bystarter cords to the two plug from the single plug would be great too.
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Re: 84 Aero 50 - Hard Start Out of Control Revving

Post by MentalJunkyard »

There are two different bystarters, dependent on year. Sounds like you simply got the wrong one. Before you replace it, run the test shown in the service manual to see if it's operating or leaking. I'm having a similar problem with my '96 and haven't had time to investigate it yet.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

If you dont have the airbox on it you will run into issues, also to test it just unplug the terminals and touch the end nips to the batter and power it for a few secounds and it shoukd be warm to the touch.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
blake05
Noob
Noob

Post by blake05 »

One more thing. With the Airbox on it also revs like crazy full throttle. Looked at it again tonight looking for air leaks. But can the Airbox have an air leak? Because j would think it would have the same effect as me cupping my hand over the intake but it doesn't. Cupped hand = normal idle, Airbox equals crazy rpms...need help!
blake05
Noob
Noob

Post by blake05 »

Anybody know where to buy an 84 bystarter. Apparently they are different than the many for sale on Amazon which I now own one.

Also is this carb legit:
blake05
Noob
Noob

Post by blake05 »