To upjet or not to upjet?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

needmoreinfo
BMX
BMX

To upjet or not to upjet?

Post by needmoreinfo »

My 94 elite sa50 is going about 46mph now. I added a polini belt and a polini variator. I want to eventually get a bbk, but for now I was wondering if I should upjet from the stock jet. If so to what size. When I had my SE50 i was told to upjet after exhaust upgrade. This SA50 has a stock exhaust, but they are going about the same speed 46mph. would upjet be a good idea or bad if so why?
needmoreinfo
BMX
BMX

Re: To upjet or not to upjet?

Post by needmoreinfo »

graphite9 wrote:you dont need to mess with jetting until you change either of the following

bore, carb/filter, exhaust

anytime you add more air, you need to upjet.

Thanks, I will be ordering some stuff soon. right now I am running stock everything except the variator and belt I got from you. Would it make sense to do anything to the air filter? I dont have the funds for everything right now but was wondering if I could increase the air intake with positive results.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

46 isn't bad at all for stock. I don't think you'll need any thing til you get a bbk.
BoldNewGraphics
Noob
Noob

Post by BoldNewGraphics »

My understanding is you can punch out the extra hole on your intake cover, and then upjet for a little more power in your case
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

BoldNewGraphics wrote:My understanding is you can punch out the extra hole on your intake cover, and then upjet for a little more power in your case
I'd leave stuff alone. If its anything like the spree nothing but a better carb setup will get any gains. You let in more air and up jet to compensate but that's all you do use more fuel for the same job
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

46MPH is admirable for a stock SA50 on stock gearing. I never got F3 much above 42 if I recall correctly. The Elite airbox mold appears to have a provision for a second intake hole, but it's blocked as delivered. Opening up that second hole with a hand grinder will reduce the airbox negative pressure, but it does necessitate a little upjet from 78 to 80 or so. The trouble is I'm pretty sure the next size up from Honda is 0.82mm, the stock '87 Aero jet. That may be too big. The second problem is that the extra air getting through may be too much for the Pilot, risking off-throttle lean heat spikes. If Daytona or somebody sells a set of jets in sequential even numbers, including the 80, then I'd take the chance and put the needle in the richest position and open up the second hole in the airbox. Otherwise, I'm with PTSG. You're already going pretty good.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH