Spree has spark, compression, and gas. Still won't start.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GaryOak
BMX
BMX

Spree has spark, compression, and gas. Still won't start.

Post by GaryOak »

Hey guys,

On my second Spree now, this place helped 100% with my first, but I can't seem to solve this one.

Just got a new-to-me Spree for cheap cause the guy couldn't get it running after it sat for a year (ran last summer). Took it home and put in fresh gas and oil, made sure the hoses were clear, cleaned the carb (twice). Got it running once, for about 10 seconds before it died, and couldn't get it started again after that. Just checked the spark plug and hand checked the compression (don't have a tester) but they both checked out. Gas goes into the carb fine when I suck on the vacuum hose and stops when it's full.

Also, it doesn't have a key so I just unplugged the ignition switch. Is there anything I'm missing here? It started the once so I figured I had it right.

This one has got me stumped. Anything I forgot to check?

Thanks!
  • 1986 Honda Spree (gone)
  • 1986 Honda Aero 50 (gone)
  • 2009 Genuine Buddy 125 (gone)
  • 2012 Vespa GTS 300
  • 1986 Honda Spree
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree has spark, compression, and gas. Still won't start

Post by Meatball »

Float needle working properly? The spring has to work and it must make a good seal for it to work. Mine did the same thing with starting then dying. The spring on my float valve no longer sprung. New ones are like $13.

Im sure you've seen this but heres the link. Has a nice Float Valve section with great pics.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ture_Guide
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
GaryOak
BMX
BMX

Post by GaryOak »

Hmmm good idea to check the spring! It seemed fine when I cleaned the carb, and it was actually put in the wrong hole (yikes) when I found it the first time so I thought for sure that would be it. It looked pretty solid when I took it out and cleaned it but I'll double check in the morning.

Was yours starting consistently and then dying? I only got it to run the one time.
  • 2012 Vespa GTS 300
  • 1986 Honda Spree
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Do you have the airbox on tight with a good filter and lid? If not that would be your issue right there. The bike wont run without one.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
GaryOak
BMX
BMX

Post by GaryOak »

Ah, yes. Airbox is on tight with a fresh filter - screwed in tight, sealed nicely to the carb.
  • 2012 Vespa GTS 300
  • 1986 Honda Spree
GaryOak
BMX
BMX

Post by GaryOak »

Also tried starting it with my hand over the air intake to see if it that would help, but with no success.
  • 2012 Vespa GTS 300
  • 1986 Honda Spree
GaryOak
BMX
BMX

Post by GaryOak »

One thing I couldn't find much info on is the oil pump - it seemed like a lot of folks had just plugged theirs and run premix. I couldn't get the oil pump off, and it looks like the oil is only about halfway through the tube to the carb (but it hasn't run at all since I changed the oil). Could this be an issue?
  • 2012 Vespa GTS 300
  • 1986 Honda Spree
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

I'd also check that your crankshaft seals are sealing if they are leaking really bad the engine can try to start but won't run because there is no crankcase pressure, pull the kicker cover and variator off and look for oil around the seal. Also check the mag side seal if you have a flywheel puller.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Did you check the reeds for gap?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

GaryOak,
Take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32935

The test for vacuum is simple and non-destructive.. you don't have to take anything apart to check it.
GaryOak
BMX
BMX

Post by GaryOak »

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll check this stuff out after work today and report back with findings.
  • 2012 Vespa GTS 300
  • 1986 Honda Spree
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

GaryOak wrote: it looks like the oil is only about halfway through the tube to the carb (but it hasn't run at all since I changed the oil). Could this be an issue?
Not sure how youre able to see the oil in the tube unless its been swapped for a clear one at some point..OEM is black and non-transparent. Also, there shouldn't be any air in the oil lines at all because once the air pocket reaches the intake, youre basically running your bike with no oil. Theres a process in the manual to bleed your oil lines if you ever get air into them.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

ok if you choked the airbox inlets while cranking and it did not start, you have issues. good chance there is no fuel getting to the carb or it has very very low compression. Don't worry about the oil pump at this point just get it to run and maybe put a few cap fulls of oil in the tank and shake it up untill you get the air out of the line. The pumps generally work well and only dump more oil when failing like leaking into the crank case while sitting for extended periods of time. go through all of the suggestions about crank seals, reeds and such, if you dont have a fuel delivery issue those points will be where you find the issues. Try opening the floatbowl drain screw and see how much fuel comes out then crank with it open and see if fuel flows and go from there. This checks for a properly functioning petcock, a non clogged screen in the tank and the vacuum line in the right place and not leaking. If that all checks out move on to the float valve needle and the float and make sure they both function and arent sticking. then check the small orifice in the float bowl and make sure its 100% clear it feeds the idle and start circuit in the carb if its clogged that thing wont ever run properly.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
GaryOak
BMX
BMX

Post by GaryOak »

Alright just got into the reed valve. It looks surprisingly good, especially compared to some of the pictures I've seen in other threads. I guess I'll cross that off the list and move on to the crank seals now, and then check out the float needle and that stuff.
  • 2012 Vespa GTS 300
  • 1986 Honda Spree
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

A pluged exhaust pipe maybe? But I think your bottom end isn't sealing
Last edited by wwolvert on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.