Aero not turning over after minor crash.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

DragonMama
Noob
Noob

Aero not turning over after minor crash.

Post by DragonMama »

Hi all,
I have an '85 Aero 80 aka 'The Red Dragon'. A week ago I took apart the carb because I wanted to check where the float level was at. FYI I'm a newb at scooter mechanics, but I have an excellent copy of the manual and I'm careful.
Put everything back together, went to fire up the Dragon and it started great, I gave it some gas and the throttle stuck wide open. I ended up crashing into a chain link fence across the street.
I felt OK enough yesterday to check out the Dragon and everything actually looks good: the frame looks good, tires are good, brake lines, lights, they're good. I checked and there is fuel in carb bowl. My problem is it isn't turning over. It seems like it's something so simple but my concussion brain isn't figuring it out.
Any ideas or advice would be gratefully welcomed. Thanks! :D
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Aero not turning over after minor crash.

Post by MrJumps »

Well if it took off full throttle :rock: than it probably is the throttle slide. On the spree and other bikes alike they have a pin in the throttle tube that only goes in one way. Be careful when seating and look down the carburetor throat to see that it is closed fully. If you still have issue, you may have a broken or unplugged ignition or so wire. To check spark leave the plug in the coil boot and touch the cathoid on the plug to the metal of the frame and turn the bike over. Be care-full and do not touch anywhere on the metal near the plug, the shock hurts a wee bit. If you still is having the no start bug, then someone with a greater comprehension akin to these superlative moto-bikes should pitch in.

:hi: Welcome to the forums

- Jumps
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
DragonMama
Noob
Noob

Post by DragonMama »

Thanks Jumps!! I did check the slide because I was scared that's where the sticky throttle problem originated. Tomorrow I will check the other things you mentioned and pick up a new spark plug. (The poor baby is probably due up for a new one anyway.)
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

By "not turning over" do you mean it won't turn the starter, or do you mean it's not firing up?
DragonMama
Noob
Noob

Post by DragonMama »

benji wrote:By "not turning over" do you mean it won't turn the starter, or do you mean it's not firing up?
It doesn't fire up. I press the start button and it sounds like it wants to fire up, I can hear the starter working. Normally that's the point I would give it a bit of gas and it would be fine. But now when I do turn the throttle it doesn't rev up like it used to. :(
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Bystarter, carb is tight, airbox is on and tight, make sure its not flooding. Pull the plug turn it over and dump a little premix in the topend and throw a fresh plug in and it should start fiering if you have spark and fuel. Did the motor run after you crashed on its side for an extended time of more than a few secounds?
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
DragonMama
Noob
Noob

Post by DragonMama »

MrJumps wrote:Bystarter, carb is tight, airbox is on and tight, make sure its not flooding. Pull the plug turn it over and dump a little premix in the topend and throw a fresh plug in and it should start fiering if you have spark and fuel. Did the motor run after you crashed on its side for an extended time of more than a few secounds?
That sounds very do-able. :smile: I think I can handle that.
Everything looks tight. I'm not sure if it ran after it was sideways because I was knocked out. How would I be sure if it was flooding? (Sorry in advance for my noobness!)
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I'm gonna guess it's something simple, like the coil got unplugged or something. Flooded is when the carb puts too much gas in the motor for it to run. I'm wondering if it's the opposite maybe, and it's not getting fuel or spark. Does the exhaust smell like fuel? When you pull out the spark plug after you try to start it, it should be wet with unburnt fuel, if not then it's a carb/fuel delivery problem, like a stuck petcock or float bowl. If it is wet, check the coil is plugged in.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

You hit a fence and got knocked out? Dang bro that musta sucked... my brother went down at 45 mph and slid around the road awhile, looked like he got attacked by a beltsander. these little scoots are a little dangerous haha.
DragonMama
Noob
Noob

Post by DragonMama »

benji wrote:I'm gonna guess it's something simple, like the coil got unplugged or something. Flooded is when the carb puts too much gas in the motor for it to run. I'm wondering if it's the opposite maybe, and it's not getting fuel or spark. Does the exhaust smell like fuel? When you pull out the spark plug after you try to start it, it should be wet with unburnt fuel, if not then it's a carb/fuel delivery problem, like a stuck petcock or float bowl. If it is wet, check the coil is plugged in.
OK, that makes sense. I went to pull the spark plug tonight and it is in there TIGHT. I put a little liquid wrench on it to sit overnight. Can I just use an offset box wrench to loosen it? I'm trying to be super careful because I don't want to drop anything in or hurt the engine.
I'm assuming that if there's fuel in the carb that the petcock is OK?
DragonMama
Noob
Noob

Post by DragonMama »

benji wrote:You hit a fence and got knocked out? Dang bro that musta sucked... my brother went down at 45 mph and slid around the road awhile, looked like he got attacked by a beltsander. these little scoots are a little dangerous haha.
Sucked big time! I was lucky that I was wearing a jacket and long pants or I'm sure I would have been scraped up, too. Instead I got a beautiful rainbow of bruises! :2thumbs:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Just cuz there's fuel in the carb doesn't mean the petcock is working fine. You should be able to test it if you search wikispreedia for the process. It's pretty simple, suck on the vacuum hose and watch for fuel to dribble.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

I had my bike go down the other day. It fell on tranny case side and jammed the kick start in to the point it pushed the circlip out(snap ring). This caused the half moon kick start gear to stay ingaged to the drive face and the electric starter couldnt turn the engine over cuz it was locked up. Might wanna pull the tranny case and check that. Unless its the aero that doesnt have kick start....
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

Check wiring. This happened to me before on my 87, without the crash, and there's a harness down by the oil intake that has a pretty hearty sleeve. The bystarter plugs in there's with a clip and there's a little bullet connector for a black and red wire for the alternator that came undone on mine. If it won't kick, fuel is there, spark and air are there, and not much else has changed, check the wires. Simple wiring system to trace, not much to look at.
DragonMama
Noob
Noob

Post by DragonMama »

benji wrote:Just cuz there's fuel in the carb doesn't mean the petcock is working fine. You should be able to test it if you search wikispreedia for the process. It's pretty simple, suck on the vacuum hose and watch for fuel to dribble.
Yup, I disconnected both lines then sucked on the vacuum line and got a piddle of fuel. Hey, at least one thing's working, right? Lol