Af16 on spree issue with fuel

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Af16 on spree issue with fuel

Post by MrJumps »

Specs

Spree gas tank and pet *
Af16 has
50mm kit
Ct manifold that I have flattened with sand paper and glass
23mm cp polini with 110 main and 44 idle very fat jetting temps never go above 320 at wot

I will be riding at like half throttle and then the bike will start to stall and as it bogs down if I hold the throttle open it pops and sputters and temps rise. If I leave the throttle alone or very lightly feather it, it regains "power" and takes back off. Last time I rode it, it didnt do this at all. This last ride it did it aton. If my jetting so fat its flooding it? I mean I couldn't see that to be the case though. After this happens my temps rasie high but not seize high, ive broken the bike jn nice and it runs good in the low area. My first thought was that the carb is running out of fuel due to a clog or bad petcock. I just tsested the pet * and it flows good, but took half a syringe of vacume to open. Maybe the petcock is going bad? I will order a 7 dollar manual one and see if that fixes the issue then report back.

If anyone has had this issue before please give me pointers.

I guess I will pull the manifold again and sand it more and double check it and all the intake for cracks or leaks. Check the bore and head for leaks and etc etc for signs of a leak. Ill report back saterday if those findings though.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Re: Af16 on spree issue with fuel

Post by Gearhart »

Float level. Most likely threw it off when you changed the jets
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

How do I adjust float level? Ive never done it before and didnt even know it was a thing.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

MrJumps wrote:How do I adjust float level? Ive never done it before and didnt even know it was a thing.
enter your question in google search and specify carb type
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Jumps, what was the air temperature the last time you rode your scooter?
What are they now?
If it's quite a bit colder now, then you may be experiencing a lean condition in the fuel mixture based on colder air requires more fuel. Maybe try raising the needle jet a notch and see how it behaves?

Carb tuning 101.

idle to 1/8 throttle; pilot mixture.
1/8 to 1/4 throttle; slide cutaway.
1/4 to 3/4 throttle; needle position, needle taper, and needle jet.
3/4 to full throttle; main jet size
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I put a 110 from a 108 last ride. It was warmer last ride this last ride it was 54 out. So im gonna say the 2 jet sizes up save it from being lean, it is so fat it bogs pretty bad till about 30 or so and then power picks up a little
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Check for air leaks
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I found small spatter drops of oil and my plug boot broke but this is what its been doing. could this been my plug boot popping off the whole time. also this is to Bones, is that clutch setup slipping or off what its suppose to be? I haven't touched it sent you sent it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYJ9IEW ... e=youtu.be
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Oil? Where is oil coming from? find the oil.... Did you replace the plug cap?
What weight rollers are in there now? That is what I heard. Try lighter rollers 1/2 gram at a time so just 3 grams lower and it should rev better then you can get the feel of the clutch hook-up. That should sound more like a dirt bike sounds.
Also, what happened to the motor? It died on you in the video?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

bonesv wrote:Oil? Where is oil coming from? find the oil.... Did you replace the plug cap?
What weight rollers are in there now? That is what I heard. Try lighter rollers 1/2 gram at a time so just 3 grams lower and it should rev better then you can get the feel of the clutch hook-up.
Also, what happened to the motor? It died on you in the video?
Okay the deing is my issue it keeps dying mid ride like that.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Temps?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

220 this last ride, no spike, very fat on both jets until this is figure out. A 108 raises temps and dosnt make a difrence.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

My float level is perfect to what I see other people online saying. Im thinking im getting an airleak from the intake. The dots of oil I noticed aslo have me worried I will pill the motor tommarow and check it out and find the leak, make new gaskets and copper coat the gaskets, reinstall, put jetting to 108 and 42 and test it out then.

Well wait s*** the coil boot was destroyed so I also have to pull the one off my other bike to test it with. This is becoming a chore.

Ill report back in like 4 hours or so...
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Dude if it helps you can have the stock AF18 intake pipe and reeds I have on the spare bottom end i'm trying to sell. If it helps eliminate any airleaks from the CT then it's a win win. My 50mm runs sweet with the stock intake, reeds, upjetted stock carb and pipe. Pay the shipping and it's yours bro ;)
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

graphite9 wrote:Ok, so to me I see a few things. when it died, that sounds like electrical. A small vacuum leak wont do that

Also, your slutch springs are not adjusted properly, and your center spring is too solf, or rollers too heavy. Your not even getting into the meat of the power range. See how boggy it is? Likely due to the trans tuning.

When your full throttle, with bogging due to the trans not being adjusted right, your just pouring fuel into the cylinder that can't be burned, which will eventually foul a plug.

Start with adjusting the clutch/rollers, and fix the small air leak. I had a zuma that had the trans shimmed improperty, and no joke, it would barely move. It took 6 city blocks to even get any real acceleration. simmed the trans, adjusted the clutch and now its hard to keep the wheel down.

My rollers aee too heavy, I was gonna get on the airleak today but im sick, and it probably wont be this weekened now... eletrical and I belive the ct is bad but I have a stock jntake kn hand with reeds and all I may order an adapter from gg9.