Help! 86 Spree Not Getting Spark?!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jerz40
Elite
Elite

Help! 86 Spree Not Getting Spark?!

Post by jerz40 »

I need you guys help! I have a 86 spree I'm fixing for a customer that has a spark problem. I thought it was the stator, but I've replaced it several times with different used oem ones, and still nothing! I've changed the pick up coil, and the ignition coil too! Also when I test it, I only see 1 spark and then nothing at all!! What's going on here? Am I missing something or not doing something right? Is it possible my oem p[arts are junk? Can I buy new aftermarket ones? I've never had this problem before! :? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Re: Help! 86 Spree Not Getting Spark?!

Post by R1Titan911 »

All grounds good? I had this same problem on my Ruck with spark and found it was one ground cable... Also could be bad contacts in your ignition assembly or kill switch assemblies?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Had same is my rectifier wasnt grpunded I replaced it with a new one to be safe and it ran fine. Make sure everything is grounded good. If your getting 1 spark then it stops that is what it was doing for me. A very good strong spark then nothing.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

MrJumps wrote:Had same is my rectifier wasnt grpunded I replaced it with a new one to be safe and it ran fine. Make sure everything is grounded good. If your getting 1 spark then it stops that is what it was doing for me. A very good strong spark then nothing.
Exactly!! I checked the rectifier earlier, and swapped with another one and still was the same.....can you buy new ones? A ground problem is starting to make sense, because with all the parts I've swapped, they can't possibly all be bad parts. Thank you for your help! :)
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

R1Titan911 wrote:All grounds good? I had this same problem on my Ruck with spark and found it was one ground cable... Also could be bad contacts in your ignition assembly or kill switch assemblies?
I've been checking, seems to all be good. Yeah I was thinking about the kill switch, will haft to try and swap one tomorrow. This is really starting to sound like a ground problem, getting close, thanks for all you guys help!! :)
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Have you tried swapping to a known good CDI? A faulty one would give you spark issues.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Meatball wrote:Have you tried swapping to a known good CDI? A faulty one would give you spark issues.
Yup, owner purchased a new one, still didn't work. But to be sure I swapped it back with an OEM one and still nothing. I confirmed this morning it's not a problem in the kill switch either. I have no clue right now..... :shock:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Id almost look at the key switch. It grounds the spark out in the off position so if the key switch was bad maybe its shorting the spark to ground in the run position just another rabbit hole for ya ;-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Id almost look at the key switch. It grounds the spark out in the off position so if the key switch was bad maybe its shorting the spark to ground in the run position just another rabbit hole for ya ;-)
Thanks! :) The ignition switch is actually a new one I got from Taz, but I'm gonna check it out anyways since you never know! Has to be something simple here....
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Change he spark plug and try that.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

check wire connections on the pulser....its #2 on this diagram...check wire connections on stator (#5) also. Test with meter to see if youre getting pulse on revolution. Could be faulty ignition switch also...good thing you have access to 50 other Sprees to swap parts from! :smile:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

MrJumps wrote:Change he spark plug and try that.
Done. Still nothing....
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Meatball wrote:check wire connections on the pulser....its #2 on this diagram...check wire connections on stator (#5) also. Test with meter to see if youre getting pulse on revolution. Could be faulty ignition switch also...good thing you have access to 50 other Sprees to swap parts from! :smile:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html
Yes! This will be the next big thing to test, thankfully my neighbor next door has a garage filled with tools and testers, gonna run it over to him so he can do some testing, as something in the grounds or connections just isn't right. Haha! Oh yeah! :woot:
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Have you looked at the coil return wires for cracks? Ive had a harness that had a broken wire on the coil side. Would turn over and sometimes spark. Depends what position the wire was in.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

MrJumps wrote:Have you looked at the coil return wires for cracks? Ive had a harness that had a broken wire on the coil side. Would turn over and sometimes spark. Depends what position the wire was in.
Gonna haft to check this one out too!