Does the Met stem need to be modified to go into an SE50?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Does the Met stem need to be modified to go into an SE50

Post by Meatball »

I had to hogg out the inner fender plastic to make room for those pesky pegs again. Made quick work of it with a soldering gun. Its not pretty but it was getting cold and I was running out of f#cks to give at this point.

Also, that lower bearing cup you see is from the Met. I decided to swap it since I wanted to get away from those stupid loose bearing balls Honda puts in. That's the met bearing in the pic too....was a neat idea but it ended up screwing me later because it makes the whole tree sit lower about 1/4". When putting the bars on, theres a notch in the stem that the head bolt goes into when the bars are set at the correct height. I had to do some grinding on that notch to get the bolt through.
Attachments
met swap4.JPG
met swap4.JPG (106.54 KiB) Viewed 7829 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Legs on, bars on...
Attachments
met swap 5.JPG
met swap 5.JPG (132.16 KiB) Viewed 7829 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Heres where its at for the night....I need to figure out a speedo cable fix. The Met cable needs to be used since it has a unique snap-in type connection into the brake hub but its too short. Does anyone know if the Ruckus has a similar cable but longer?
Attachments
met swap 6.JPG
met swap 6.JPG (156.95 KiB) Viewed 7829 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Whos got a Ruckus speedo cable laying around to measure the length? They have the same connection at the brake hub as the met but I cant find anywhere telling the actual length. Help a brotha out!
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I've got a ruckus brake hub
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The ruck hub looks just like the met. The issue is the speedo assembly on the SE50 sits higher up on the bars than on the ruck/met making the ruck/met speedo cable too short to reach the hub by a couple inches. It actually DOES reach and snaps into the hub but puts a massive kink in the cable with ZERO slack for turning the bars. Doing some research I found that the ruck cable is shorter than the met so I need a different plan.

Im thinking of making a cable to the correct length with one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-UNIVERSAL-SP ... 1628435177

Anyone ever try one of these? The cable needs to have a square tip on both ends but it looks like this kit only comes with 1 square tip adapter. No Bueno.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Try a speedo cable from an sa50 elite. They have a longer neck/stem. The inner cable is square on both ends. You could swap out the plastic ends possibly? to fit the met "snap-in" style. They could be "screw-on" fittings?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Good idea, bones...you always seem to have the answers. I'll check that out. Thanks!
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Meatball wrote:the turn stop "nub" had to be modified
I also have to modify the spree stops as well. The Ruck tree on the spree frame has a VERY limited stop to stop turn ratio.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Just tried the SE50 wheel/brake hub on the met legs. I noticed the SE50 brake hub has two slots in it to fit different legs and I thought Id give it a try. Turns out, 2nd slot goes into met legs just fine but its core is way too narrow. Leaves about a 1-inch gap to the other fork leg. Then I noticed the met axle spacer/sleeve is a bit longer than the SE50 so I tried that one hoping it would fill the gap....nope, still leaves about 1/2-inch gap to the other fork leg. Looking at the two brake hubs side-by-side (se50 and met) the met one has a thicker core distance. Back to the drawing bored.

Id really like to use the Met wheel/brake since the larger brake/wheel is partly why I did the swap to begin with. The speedo cable is the only barrier right now which is rather insignificant to the big picture. Just need to come up with a solution that isn't hokey or shoddy. Not my style.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Try a variator boss as a spacer. Found out it fits on accident one day, it's a little longer tho haha.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

benji wrote:Try a variator boss
Just tried it. The inner diameter is too large which makes it loose on the axle and its also shorter than the Met spacer by 1/4".
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

bonesv wrote:Try a speedo cable from an sa50 elite. They have a longer neck/stem. The inner cable is square on both ends. You could swap out the plastic ends possibly? to fit the met "snap-in" style. They could be "screw-on" fittings?
These cables are crimp-on fittings. Im going to pick one up and try to swap ends without destroying it. Will take a few days to get here since its ordered online.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

bonesv wrote:Try a speedo cable from an sa50 elite. They have a longer neck/stem. The inner cable is square on both ends.
So, I bought a cable from Taz for an SA50 elite like you suggested and it arrived today. It does NOT have square cable on both ends. Its square on the speedometer end but has the slot tip on the brake hub end. Its exactly like the SE50 cable I already have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222063819227?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Meatball wrote:
bonesv wrote:Try a speedo cable from an sa50 elite. They have a longer neck/stem. The inner cable is square on both ends.
So, I bought a cable from Taz for an SA50 elite like you suggested and it arrived today. It does NOT have square cable on both ends. Its square on the speedometer end but has the slot tip on the brake hub end. Its exactly like the SE50 cable I already have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222063819227?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
:shock: Uhhh that's my mistake. I should double check my suggestions before I give them. I'm so sorry man, it's not as I said it was. :oops:
I will reimburse you for the cable you bought. Please pm me your paypal info and cost.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861