Tightening Variator Nut

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Tightening Variator Nut

Post by schwarz633 »

So I've got my $80 2000 Elite SA50P started. The fuseholder by the battery was missing, so I had to do a small electrical repair. The electric starter spins, but really slow, not even fast enough to engage the driven gear. Is the starter motor serviceable? I tried hot wiring it directly to the battery, but no difference, so it's not the relay.

After I got it running, the kick starter began to give me problems, not disengaging from the motor. I had the kick starter off and on 10 times before I realized that the nut on the variator had become loose. In the manual it looks like I need to hold the flywheel on the alternator side with the universal holder in order to tighten that nut. Is there a low buck alternative to the universal holder?
Dallen70
Spree
Spree

Re: Tightening Variator Nut

Post by Dallen70 »

You could just use an impact wrench to tighten it, that way you don't have to worry about holding the flywheel cause that is just a pain.
schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Post by schwarz633 »

Don't have an impact wrench. Found a cheap wrench on eBay (222317283213) for $12.00. Looks like it should work.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I have to disagree with using an impact wrench to tighten the nut. Especially don't like the idea of holding the opposing end of the crankshaft to tighten against. It could twist it out of balance/true, or cause other damage. Try to find a suitable tool to hold the outer drive face. But I do agree with using the impact to remove the nut.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Post by schwarz633 »

bonesv wrote:I have to disagree with using an impact wrench to tighten the nut. Especially don't like the idea of holding the opposing end of the crankshaft to tighten against. It could twist it out of balance/true, or cause other damage. Try to find a suitable tool to hold the outer drive face. But I do agree with using the impact to remove the nut.
I understand what you're saying, but unless I'm reading it wrong, the service manual says to use the universal tool on the opposite end of the crank (alternator side). I haven't seen any tool to hold the outer drive face. I did see a video of a guy screwing in a cover bolt and holding a screwdriver against it with the tip stuck into a gear tooth. But it was a different scooter, not sure that would work here. The bolt has to be close to the teeth.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Do it right.. get the tool you found on eBay. It will work fine and you may use it again on other scooters. You can't go wrong following the instructions in the workshop manual.

schwarz633 said:
Don't have an impact wrench. Found a cheap wrench on eBay (222317283213) for $12.00. Looks like it should work.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

there is a oil wrench at harbor frieght for 8 bucks which is what I use a I dont like to use power tools unless I have to. I like to be able to work anywhere. just search "locking oil filter wrench" in their search engine. its not perfect but the closest I could find that grabs the drive face nicely. and its cheap.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Post by schwarz633 »

I received the eBay tool I mentioned previously and it worked just fine.