Questions about my 1984 Gyro!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Questions about my 1984 Gyro!!

Post by chevyguyjay »

ok fellas, i need all your help. i just picked up a 1984 honda gyro. i have questions about the engine. r the pistons the same as a spree? is this engine all gear driven? carb looks the same as a spree. looks like the oil pump is ran along with the throttle cable. is there any mods u can do to this engine? how bout an exaust? i havent really torn into anything yet. the engine might even run. r the cdi boxes the same as a spree? im thinkin a lot of spree parts might work on it. hopefully some of u out there might have some usefull info for me. thanks. 8)
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

i remember reading on a site about gyros that most of the parts are only specific to the gyro. But I also remember it saying that the 1984 model had a dished piston so it would have lower compression and top speed. The guy said that an elite 50 high compression piston and ring set would fit the gyro and create a higher top speed by about 5 mph. Supposedly he was a honda mechanic and knew his stuff
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I'm betting it's Elite / Aero based. You'd need to measure the pistons to see what you can bolt up. If the exhaust ejects out of the corner, it's probably Elite / Aero based, and you can get a bore kit and/or pipes for it.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

They were made from 84-86 using aero/spree/express front end parts, can't mod the engine as its a comepletly different engine design.
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

okay so im picking up a 1985 honda gyro S this week (the chopper looking model). It has a bent fork that i'm looking to replace. I know that the regular honda gyros use the same front end parts as the sprees, but does anyone know if this is also true about the Gyro S model? Also what about the front wheel? I'm getting it for $100 and only 350 miles on it, so im pretty excited about getting it ready to roll.

PS: Any good way to bend the fork back, or is it better just to replace it?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

edoggdoremus wrote:okay so im picking up a 1985 honda gyro S this week (the chopper looking model). It has a bent fork that i'm looking to replace. I know that the regular honda gyros use the same front end parts as the sprees, but does anyone know if this is also true about the Gyro S model? Also what about the front wheel? I'm getting it for $100 and only 350 miles on it, so im pretty excited about getting it ready to roll.

PS: Any good way to bend the fork back, or is it better just to replace it?
How in the H*** did you find a 85 gyro for 100$?!?!?!
those are amazing, they look like nothing honda's done before
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi,
I'm really new here, but have had a Gyro for a couple years. I've been looking from the Gyro end what might fit from other scooters, and have bought a pile of spree, elite parts and finally, an almost complete '87 Aero.

For the piston question, I have put a Spree domed piston in a TG50 (85/86) Gyro with no problems. I agree, Elite 50 pistons up to 92 or so should work too. I have a new 0.25 over Elite piston to place into the Gyro later. Lined up with the Gyro piston, they look alike except for the dome vs dished top as previously mentioned.

For the TG50 front fork question, I have taken apart an 87 or so Elite fork and compared parts. Springs, fork ends and internal rubber stops were different, with the Elite being shorter. The TG50 has some tabs welded on the fork tips to mount the fender.

For the TG50 front wheel question, I can say that I've bought Spree and a 1987 or so Elite front wheel and found that the TG50 hub does not fit..And the Spree/Elite hubs do not drop into the tab welded to the fork that keeps the hub stationary when braking. Another strike against the Spree/Elite was a short brake arm. The Aero hub looks just like the TG50 except its silver. The casting looks that it would match up with the TG50 fork brake tab on the fork. The brake arm length looks correct. But I have not yet checked the Aero hub in the TG50 front wheel. You might need both the wheel and hub pair if swapping in the Aero parts.

I would be happy to snap some pics or assist in parts swap ideas for the Gyro, but I'm also interested in hanging out and learning more about the Spree/Elite/Aero scooters.
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

hey thanks for the info. Do you have to get a different cylinder head when putting in a domed piston as opposed to the stock dished piston? I didnt think you had to as i remembered reading a while back that people would put '84/'85 spree heads on there '86/'87 cylinders to get a little more compression.

also could someone explain to me what these above standard size pistons are for? Are they for cylinders that have been rebored?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The stock TG50 head worked fine with the domed piston.

Slight oversize pistons and rings are just as you suspect - for cylinders that have been bored larger to correct out of round, uneven wear or scratches. This would be wear or scratches beyond what a new stock piston/rings and hone would correct.

The experts here probably can add much more on the subject.