strange noise ?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bdta2000
Noob
Noob

strange noise ?

Post by bdta2000 »

Hi new to site, and it great ! My question is......
I have a 1985 honda spree that runs good, about 3400 miles, and still hits 3o mph with little problem. I bought it used so I have no idea what if any work has been done to motor. The problem I have is after the bike warms up I get a whislte\whine sound from the fan area. I tried to look in without removing the cover and it looks like the fan is not hitting anything.
has anyone heard of this ? and what could be wrong ? I am hoping it is not the crank bearings, but I am leaning that way. What do you think ?

Thanks in advance
Bill
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

HHASAHHAAHAH YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON THAT HAS HAD THAT PROBLEM OTHER THEM ME!!!! I DRIVE MYSELF CRAZY TRYING TO FIND WHAT IT WAS, IT WAS LOUD AND ANNOYING. I FINELY TOOK APART EH CASE AND CRANK BEARINGS WERE SHOT. IF YOU WANT HELP DOING IT I CAN GIVE YOU A STEP BYE STEP TO DO IT, OR I REBUILD ENGINES AND WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING BEARINGS, SEALS, EVERYTHING. LOOK AT MY PRICES AT freewebs.com/mopedparts
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

well first, check your crank for play! that will tell you if its the bearings or not. just take off the pulley on the transmission side and grab the crank and see if you can freely at all move it up/down side to side. If you can move 1mm or more in any direction then its the bearings.

and if its running well those bearings may still last a while before finally giving out, as long as the case itself isnt leaking through them.

just things to check and think about.
projects galore :nerd:
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

yes do that first. with me it still ran good, i dont know how much longer it was going to last, but i didnt want to risk it considering bearings are cheap. but i didnt have play, i just had annoying noises.
bdta2000
Noob
Noob

Post by bdta2000 »

Yea thats what I was thinking, guess I will inspect it, I really dont want to wait and risk damage. A step by step would help! Thank you. guess I better fix this one before buying another. Thanks guys, Bill
bdta2000
Noob
Noob

Post by bdta2000 »

hey got that step by step to do the crankshaft bearings ? also where is the best place in MI to get parts, at a not over mark up price ?
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

idk, i always go to honda, only place i can find with parts. im almost done. im doing this with pictures.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Once the bearings are out you should be able to source them at any bearing shop.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
bdta2000
Noob
Noob

Post by bdta2000 »

Well I got the thing apart, and took the crank to a honda dealer to get them to pull the bearings off..... and the guy who works on bikes said all the bearings in the crank look great, no need to replace them unless I have $ to blow...... So I went home to inspect the spree better and found that the oil pump hold down bolt was loose, causing the gear to rub the case.... sound like this could be my problem ? anyone heard of this one ?
wbpolk
BMX
BMX

Post by wbpolk »

i am having the same problem with the noise. i figure i will just have the engine rebuilt this winter.

i also am getting up to 34-35mph with it all stock. lil odd i thought. oh well.