Need advice for a '96 Honda Elite 50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mrbones
Noob
Noob

Need advice for a '96 Honda Elite 50

Post by mrbones »

Hello,

I recently purchased a '96 Elite SR50 in need of a crankshaft and top end. After looking at VTCycles price list, it looks like its better to buy new than to repair what I have. Especially when replacing a lower rod bearing at my local motorcycle shop will cost me $65 in labor as that not something I have the tools to do myself.

I have rebuilt engines before, but know nothing about the manufacturers of top ends you have for sale. Based on price vs performance (or cc size), I was thinking about purchasing the F.M. 85cc Bore Kit & F.M. Stock Replacement Crank. Is there a better combo in the same price range?

Also, can these over bore kits be used with the stock carb (with rejetting) and exhaust?

The main goal for this project is to get it up to 50 mph so my wife can ride it to work. She'll have to navigate one main road with a speed limit of 50 mph.

Is that possible?

I emailed a similar message to VTcycle a few days ago but got no response. Are they a reputable dealer? Anyone in the continental US sell these parts?

THANKS!!
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

VT is very reputable. They only have 2 guys working there, so they are busy. Give them a call, or they will probably get back to you within the next few days. They have very good prices and tons of knowledge. They always throw in freebies too when you buy stuff from them.
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

I was thinking about purchasing the F.M. 85cc Bore Kit & F.M. Stock Replacement Crank. Is there a better combo in the same price range?

Also, can these over bore kits be used with the stock carb (with rejetting) and exhaust?
that will not work on big bore kit on stock carb , not enough fuel !

just leave the intake on it, need adaptor ,then can runs 19mm dellorto carb w/ stock sr box. , fm stock crank. 72cc polini corsa bore w/ stock sr pipe
gear kit. less maintinace for everyday rides :D ready to bolt on and hook everything up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FM 85cc bore need to run big carb 28mm kehin pwk, big intake manifold gears, high speed pulley, gear kit, springs clutch and center. cannot run sr pipe, goona run pg long pipe.

need some case work on boost port
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

stecve and keoni are veery nice to do business with. you dson't need to replace the stock crank with another styock crank. your stock crank is japan and the the other one it twiwan made. To use the stock carb stick to 72cc for the most potential.
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

you can go with the oem crank and polini corsa, stock pipe,intake, and 18mm mikuni and prob 8 to 1 gearing and that would be a decent daily driver, or go with a slighty lower ratio, how long is the 50mph stretch?
mrbones
Noob
Noob

Post by mrbones »

Thanks for the replies.

The 50 mph stretch is about 1.5 miles.

The only reason I was going to buy a new crankshaft assembly is because the lower rod bearing is shot. There's 2mm of play in it and it binds and sticks. The bearing is about $10 and it'll cost $65 to have it installed in the assembly at the local shop. That's $75 plus tax, more than a new crank. The speedo on this scoot is 1443 miles. But with this much wear on the engine, I think it may be 11,443.
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

mrbones wrote:Thanks for the replies.

The 50 mph stretch is about 1.5 miles.

The only reason I was going to buy a new crankshaft assembly is because the lower rod bearing is shot. There's 2mm of play in it and it binds and sticks. The bearing is about $10 and it'll cost $65 to have it installed in the assembly at the local shop. That's $75 plus tax, more than a new crank. The speedo on this scoot is 1443 miles. But with this much wear on the engine, I think it may be 11,443.
Depends, if the bike sat alot, or the oil was of a poor quality, I seen engine with less then 1200 miles need new crank bearings
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i rebuild them cheaper. id say get 8:1 gears, 72 bore, hi speed pulley kit, and some jets. youl be hitting 55 easy.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Myspree: You have the equipment to change out a rod lower bearing?

If your bottom-end is shot, might be a good time to upgrade to a stroker crank? Or might VT Cycles have a good used one to sell?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

yes, i have machines to do that, i have changed mine before. but since my dads shop moved the press hasnt been set up yet, but it should be soon.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mrbones
Noob
Noob

Post by mrbones »

Ok, I finally got this bike put together with the 72cc kit, new crankshaft and new crankshaft bearings. Plus a #88 main jet in the carb. Thanks to vtcycles.com for the parts. I also repainted it flat red and the wheels gold. Looks cool. Had to get a new front brake cable and speedo cable, which was broke. That solves the mystery of the low mileage on the speedo.

The first time I ran it the top speed was only 37mph verified with a GPS. The belt blew up into little pieces on that run. That was fun, lol.

I then installed a new belt, a high speed pulley kit with 57g of weights, 8.44:1 rear gear set, high rpm clutch springs and a stiffer main spring on the rear pulley. Top speed is now 45mph. I weigh about 185lbs with riding gear so I think its doing pretty well.

I'm glad to say the brakes are still pretty good at that speed. The suspension is pushing it though. Not enough travel, but still manageable.

But, whats keeping me from 50mph? The stock exhaust, maybe? Is there any way to drill that sucker out?

Thanks!
slowaero
Goped
Goped

Post by slowaero »

Isn't the issue is whether your wife can handle a squirrelly suspension at the 50 mph you want her to go?

I'd look over the road surface as that quick for a less than perfect road.
mrbones
Noob
Noob

Post by mrbones »

Uh, not really.

Anybody else?