1984 Nifty 50 AF06 Starter Motor Dead

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

morgsim
Noob
Noob

1984 Nifty 50 AF06 Starter Motor Dead

Post by morgsim »

Hi all, first post and its going to be annoying because I know this topic has been beat to death but I just can't find what I am after.

I'm based in New Zealand and buy/fix up old scooters, occasionally get my hands on whats usually called a "Nifty 50" or "Eve" but is essentially a Spree right?

This particular one is a 1984 with an AF06 chassis code - no kick start unfortunately. When I first got it the starter motor wouldn't even turn (turns out it got stuck on when a relay failed and 12v went through all the starter wires for quite some time (even warped the red side plastic).

When I first got it I got no action after fixing the wiring, I pulled the starter motor out (starter clutch seems OK) and cleaned it up as best I could...if I put 12v to it on my bench it does turn but not with a whole lot of power.

When trying to use it in the bike the second it pushes the starter motor clutch onto the main cog its over, no guts to start it.

Now being in New Zealand these are a fairly rare bike these days, parts even rarer. Starter motors are non existant so I plan on getting some kind of eBay copy...does anyone know one that is a direct fit? I've taken photos of mine and spent hours on eBay but I'm finding it fruitless...surely there must be some kind of cheap replacement because they want hundreds for new genuine Honda ones?

Please help me resurrect this beast!

This looks close but I suspect I'm wrong?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Starter-Mot ... ctupt=true
morgsim
Noob
Noob

Re: 1984 Nifty 50 AF06 Starter Motor Dead

Post by morgsim »

These Arrowheads also look close, but again not quite right;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arrowhead-S ... Sw3v5YtDN1

Does anyknow know of a direct bolt on? Or would be willing to sell me a legit Honda starter and ship to NZ (I can pay in Bitcoin or Paypal).
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

You can use a Suzuki LT80 starter rebuild kit and just rebuild it.
morgsim
Noob
Noob

Post by morgsim »

eclark5483 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:55 pm You can use a Suzuki LT80 starter rebuild kit and just rebuild it.
Is it not going to be the windings/coil itself that are stuffed though?

If I order a complete LT80 rebuild kit (like below) and install I should have an as new starter motor in your opinion?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorb ... a651ea-001
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yes, and d*** things are expensive down under.
morgsim
Noob
Noob

Post by morgsim »

Thats NZD and the rate is about 0.63c to USD so its not too bad, but yea I get most of my parts from overseas due to local prices.

So really what you're saying is it just needs new brushes, I can't see what else is in that kit that would suddenly give it a lot more starting power...
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Most items in the kit will fit. But really, a good rebuild will come down to a good cleaning and re-greasing of all old components along with new bushings and whatever else might fit that can be replaced as new. They might be sealed starters, but they can still get gunk and have the grease dry up inside.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Post a wanted ad for a kickstarter belt cover from an 86-87 spree. Just in case the starter windings are burned up and not rebuildable. :mrgreen:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
morgsim
Noob
Noob

Post by morgsim »

So is it safe to say there is no Chinese clone starter motor on the market for these that anyone knows of? That's definitely my preferred option if they exist.

I'm fairly confident its the windings so am going to take it to a shop this afternoon to see what they might charge.

Getting a whole side casing shipped from USA wouldn't be worth it unfortunately, shipping costs would be excessive.