Hard starting. Crank seal leak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

thistleb
Noob
Noob

Hard starting. Crank seal leak

Post by thistleb »

Thanks in advance for the help. 86 spree. 90 psi compression. Hard to start but when it does it will run fine for a minute or so. The starts to rev and stalls. Cleaned carb thoroughly. Air box in place. Have noticed an oily leak on the left case. Looks like crank seal. Would that cause the issues?
bonesv

Re: Hard starting. Crank seal leak

Post by bonesv »

thistleb wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:49 pm Thanks in advance for the help. 86 spree. 90 psi compression. Hard to start but when it does it will run fine for a minute or so. The starts to rev and stalls. Cleaned carb thoroughly. Air box in place. Have noticed an oily leak on the left case. Looks like crank seal. Would that cause the issues?
It could but I would thoroughly clean the area around the front of belt pulley/crank seal and run a few times to confirm it is a seal that's leaking. It's an easy fix if it is :thumbwink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
thistleb
Noob
Noob

Post by thistleb »

Definitely leaking. My son noticed air escaping from the left side cover when cranking. Pulled cover and confirmed leaking from the seal. Will you replace that now.
jranilovich
BMX
BMX

Post by jranilovich »

thistleb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:18 am Definitely leaking. My son noticed air escaping from the left side cover when cranking. Pulled cover and confirmed leaking from the seal. Will you replace that now.
What is the Easiest way to tell if the seal is leaking soapy water and trying to start it?
1984 spree
1985 spree
1986 spree
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

jranilovich wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:51 pm
thistleb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:18 am Definitely leaking. My son noticed air escaping from the left side cover when cranking. Pulled cover and confirmed leaking from the seal. Will you replace that now.
What is the Easiest way to tell if the seal is leaking soapy water and trying to start it?
If its leaking there will be oil coming from the seal on either side of the crank.
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank