Did I kill my Spree?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dipstick
Noob
Noob

Did I kill my Spree?

Post by Dipstick »

Hi, in the summer of 2018 my dad got me a 1987 Honda Spree after I crashed my car. After finally getting it registered, I rode all around town having the time of my life for around $1.50 a tank. I thought riding a bicycle by myself as a tween was freedom, and then driving a car by myself when I was 16, but nothing; nothing beat the feeling of this tiny little sub-100lb 50cc moped, able to go anywhere without causing trouble. *, I would take OHRV trails as a shortcut.
There were some problems likely caused by gas from a particular gas station, but with some seafoam, carb cleaner, and help from the small engine mechanic who sold it to me, I got her back on the road. I got the MLM sidebleed, messed around with the set screws on the carb, and I was enjoying 35mph on flats and finally being able to go up steep hills at more than 15mph. I had to Flintstone it off the line, but I wasn't too bothered because I was absolutely addicted to the sudden burst of power I got at around 15mph.
It ran fine for a while, but eventually, it got harder to start and began skipping and cutting out. One day, it was going strong, and then it cut out and died. I got it to start back up again, but I would get about halfway through the throttle and then it'd die again. Had to get a ride back home.
After the small engine mechanic helped out again, it worked for a little while longer until a ride home one night.
It started cutting out again. Great. I kept pushing, trying to use momentum to my advantage. I had a big hill to climb; usually it would sit at 20-25 up this hill, but now it was backfiring like crazy. Sounded like a wasp nest being decimated with a .22.
It got up the hill then died (rather fortunate, because people haul 50 up that hill all the time), and while I was occasionally able to start it back up again, it would backfire and spit and chug just trying to maintain 15 before it died again. I wound up pushing it a good portion of the way home.
I noticed that gas would leak around the gasket for the bowl.
Cleaned my carb again, and applied some gasket-in-a-tube twice, and still, it doesn't want to start. I can occasionally get it to fire up with some carb cleaner in the intake (without the foam filter) but it just dies right after.
As you can tell by the fact that I didn't upjet after the pipe, never messed with variator weights or even opened the d*** thing, kept trying to run it despite it very clearly not being happy about it, and complete befuddlement when confronted with relatively simple stuff, I am pretty stupid when it comes to two-strokes. Also, at a particular low RPM range, there was lots of metallic vibration, so odds are I've * up something in the driveline.
What does it sound like to you folks? Does it sound like I burnt it out running it lean for so long? Do these symptoms indicate that the engine is beyond repair? I'm considering buying a new carb and a new jet, but I don't want to spend money just to find that it's completely *.
Did I kill a spree with good ol' fashioned *-and-vinegar teenage stupidity?
If there sounds like there's any hope for it it'll be a good project for me over the winter. I need something to occupy me and give me something to look forward to because, being in New Hampshire, I get very depressed and bored around January.
Thanks a bunch!
Attachments
MVC-164F.JPG
MVC-164F.JPG (264.94 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
MVC-164F.JPG
MVC-164F.JPG (264.94 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Did I kill my Spree?

Post by Meatball »

Disassemble and investigate. Report back findings with pictures. The issue will show itself. Diagnosis is a cr@pshoot without it in front us to see. With the noises and symptoms you describe...you may want to compose a eulogy just to have ready.

Fortunately, IF your motor is now a boat anchor, good running “used” replacement Spree motors are abundant and fairly inexpensive. Very easy to swap also.

NEVER buy anything until you KNOW you need it. Dont just throw money at it hoping to get lucky.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: Did I kill my Spree?

Post by harleyracer59 »

Meatball wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm

NEVER buy anything until you KNOW you need it. Dont just throw money at it hoping to get lucky.
I agree with meatball, there is a difference between a mechanic and a parts changer...…
if its broke, only way to repair it is to first disassemble and inspect.
compression check pull the head. do a leak down test if you have the tools to do it. the problem will show up at some point.

So, have at it!!! :2thumbs: