Help...1985 Honda Elite 150 - Roached out...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SixStrings
Noob
Noob

Help...1985 Honda Elite 150 - Roached out...

Post by SixStrings »

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for letting me join this site. Going from MX bikes to scooters, lol. Ain't it a blast getting older?

Anyway, picked up this beast of a scooter, the 1985 Honda Elite 150. I have a TON of questions, if you don't mind?

1) What evil * designed this gas tank? What the * is in there? Mine is rusty, very rusty. I am a little concerned dropping some BB's in there and cleaning it that way, not sure if they will all come out when finished? Reason I ask, is I put soapy water in it from the top and nothing comes out the hole in the bottom? Is there a screen or filter INSIDE this tank? I can only drain thru the fill hole on top? Should I Kreem this thing?
Also, what is going on here? What is that electrical thing on the top of the tank? Goes to 2 wires in the harness? Also, what is it hooked up to on the bottom? IS that a fuel filter with 2 lines coming out of it?

2) I got the manual - will read this thing sometime.

Pretty roached out, but I got it for $20. All the plastic is there, a few dings, all the rear lights are smashed. I hooked up a battery and all the lights seem to work - pretty * far from hitting that "starter" button though...

My plans?
- Obvious stuff, drain oil, gas, etc. replace.
- clean carb
- Needs new rubber - both are weather checked and trashed.

Anything else I should look for? Where do I even begin? lol...

Thanks for your time.
motormike

Re: Help...1985 Honda Elite 150 - Roached out...

Post by motormike »

Remove the petcock on bottom of the tank. That will allow tank to drain. Petcock has two hoses because one is to deliver fuel to carb, the other receives vacuum from the intake manifold. That petcock must have vacuum in order to open to allow flow. That is your FIRST LESSON in scooters 101.
SECOND LESSON: there is a fuel gauge, so the two wires coming out of the top of tank are for the sending unit.
THIRD LESSON: drain soapy water...you are NOT ready for that yet. I suggest a VINEGAR fill the tank and a hand full of STEEL bolts instead of BB's ...make sure whatever you use for abrasive is MAGNETIC so removal of items is easy with a magnet.
IF AFTER this cleaning process there is still rust inside tank, consider using a sealer, BUT STAY AWAY FROM KREEM! ! !...either POR15 or Caswells products recommended.
Welcome to the board...report your progress and ask all questions you have. Hope this gets you started right direction.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
SixStrings
Noob
Noob

Post by SixStrings »

Thanks everyone... update...

Trying to get rear tire off - it's seized - I think the brakes are seized ( I hope) ...I managed to get it about 1/8" off the bolt, just enough to spray some penetrating oil on the brake side - we'll let that sit in there for a day or two before I go at it again.

The bad? Exhaust is rotted out on the side you can't see - think I will have to macgyver something up, but shouldn't be too bad.

Only had to sawzall/drill out 2 bolts so far, so that's good, lol.

Can't get that left side rail off to save my life though - you need to get that off to get the left crankcase cover off...I got the cover off, but can't remove it - just not enough room between the foot peg and the cover - belt looks in amazing shape though...I'll figure it out.

Gas tank is soaking in Vinegar - gonna take a couple doses of this treatment...lol.

Don't know why, but this thing has an "allure" to it...the shape, the Honda design, everything about it I love - hopefully, she's got enough life left in her to bring it back to running condition.

Thanks again everyone, will update as I go...