To rehone or not?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

To rehone or not?

Post by nateberrier »

I have an 86 aero 50 that seems to run pretty strong for the time, but i was going to tear it down and clean it up.

I know it has been opened before because it has washers on one side of the head bolts. I wanted to get a piston and rings and gaskets and freshen it up while im cleaning the thing and replacing the final drive. I was curious if I have to get the bore rehoned or only if the walls are smooth?

Local shop quoted me about 30 bucks to rehone, and with the cost of that, I thought about just getting an airsal kit. I know the malossi kits are better etc etc. I just want to clean it up and give it a little added compression for the wife to ride during the summer.

The other option obviously is to just leave it alone, though I probably would like to change out the head gasket at the least.
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: To rehone or not?

Post by Meatball »

Personally, I would purchase a nice ball hone and do it yourself. Can be used over and over many times and is easy to do. Always use fresh rings and break it in like you normally would a new cylinder. If you wanna go over the top you can add a new piston, small end bearing and pin but if theyre not obviously worn badly then no. The problem with the AF05 is locating decent replacement parts for them. Sure, cheap generic parts are abundant but who would want to freshen up a top-end with those?

Im also in the camp of “if it aint broke, dont fix it”. If its running great now, why dig into it at all?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Meatball wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:49 pm “if it aint broke, dont fix it”.
what he said^^
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

motormike wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:53 pm
Meatball wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:49 pm “if it aint broke, dont fix it”.
what he said^^

I agree with what they said^^^^
if you were installing a big bore cylinder you have to open it up. but if you're keeping the stock cylinder, and its running fine currently, leave the worms in the can. once its opened, its open.

+1 if it aint broke don't * with it. or K.I.S.S :thumbsup:
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

The airsal kit is cast aluminum with a nicasil plated cylinder bore and once you overheat it badly, it’s time to replace. I agree with the “if it ain’t broke.....”👍🏼
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861