Where to buy-- Starter 1985 Honda Gyro

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dsandwich
BMX
BMX

Where to buy-- Starter 1985 Honda Gyro

Post by dsandwich »

Hello,
I'm looking for a good place to buy a starter for a Honda Gyro, 1985 model. I think mine is bad. My scoot no longer cranks. I get a click (with a fresh battery) but the starter doesn't turn. It used to spin freely (almost like a turbine winding up). I would push the starter button and I would let it spin, then take my finger off the starter button, and then hit the button again and it would engage and crank the starter. This has been happening for a few years, but it no longer spins/cranks. I would appreciate any guidance.
Thanks,
Rich
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: Where to buy-- Starter 1985 Honda Gyro

Post by harleyracer59 »

I would pull it out and test the starter. put ground to the body. and positive to the electrical terminal on the side. if it spins then you need to check the relay and/or wiring. I have had luck with pulling my nfg starters apart. and cleaning all the crap from the insides. grease the bearing and reassemble. with your hit and miss condition id inspect the starting gear as well. make sure theres no chips or worn teeth. if its bad replace it. if it looks good, look into the cases where the starter goes. spin the cooling fan and inspect the engine ring gear for chips and wear.
the 84 is different, but 85 and 86 are identical. and can be used on each other. 84 is 10 teeth. 85-86 is 11. or versa visa. cant remember the specifics. I have put an af05e starter in one of them and it worked. the key to that is count the teeth.
if this is all too technical for you, at least pull and test. if it don't go, any competent starter alternator shop should be able vto rebuild it and get parts. scooter starters are similar to honda mowers and generators. so some parts are still available. if you have no starter/alternator shops by you. send me a message. I could rebuild it for you if need be. i know where a tg50 starter might be. I know a guy parting out 6 of them. ill see if he still has one.
first step t hough is to pull yours and test it. the gear on the end should spin freely. but youll feel a smooth resistance as it passes the magnets on the inside. if that makes sense.
dsandwich
BMX
BMX

Post by dsandwich »

Thanks, man. That is good info. I was hoping for a quick $25 replacement so I could rebuild my starter at my leisure. No, your answer is not too technical for me. I just wish I had more time to do anything. Scootin' ain't easy sometimes. I greatly appreciate the guidance. I'll pull the starter when I get a chance and give it a test. Many thanks.
motormike

Post by motormike »

The Gyro S starter motor is unavailable new.
It is also very difficult to find used.
I have one taken from a part-out Gyro, but will not sell it due to the problem finding one if either of my Gyros goes bad.
When I was taking the starter motor off of the part-out bike, I remember saying to myself, "I sure hope I don't have to take
another starter motor off of a Gyro"...It was quite a chore.
I remember also Mousewheels having talked about how to fix the starter motor with parts from a different bike,
so repairing your starter motor is possible. Try a search of the Gyro General thread.
Good luck getting this sorted... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
dsandwich
BMX
BMX

Post by dsandwich »

Thanks, Mike. I'll go with the teardown first, then see if performance improves.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

the problem is gyro engines are different from all the rest. i actually think i remember that an af05e starter bolted up with the same # of teeth. differences were the positive terminal was in a different place and when energized it spun backwards or some s*** like that. its been a couple years since i tried the swap. there was more to it than the splines. but that's the beginning of the 84 nn50 and the 85-86 tg50 slight differences i started to find between them. there are a few. good luck glad i was able to help. i know scootin aint easy. if it was everyone would be doing it...
scooters are like fat woman, theyre cool till your friends catch you on one.. unless they ride fat woman too :naughty: