2001 Honda Elite 50 trouble!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

chazdo2
Noob
Noob

2001 Honda Elite 50 trouble!!!

Post by chazdo2 »

This scooter runs a half mile or so then quits. Restarts after a minute or so goes about 50 yards then quits. Then cant get restarted for about 5 minutes. Here is what I have done.
1: replaced and tested fuel petcock vacuum and gas supply line
2: cleaned carb made sure cleaned well
3: choke was removed tested working as it should
I am running it without the air cleaner element due to waiting for a new one. Could this be the problem? Any and all help desperately needed!!!!
bonesv

Re: 2001 Honda Elite 50 trouble!!!

Post by bonesv »

chazdo2 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:21 am This scooter runs a half mile or so then quits. Restarts after a minute or so goes about 50 yards then quits. Then cant get restarted for about 5 minutes. Here is what I have done.
1: replaced and tested fuel petcock vacuum and gas supply line
2: cleaned carb made sure cleaned well
3: choke was removed tested working as it should
I am running it without the air cleaner element due to waiting for a new one. Could this be the problem? Any and all help desperately needed!!!!
Chazdo2, YES, it needs the filter! What you also need to understand what is happening when you run a 2-stroke motor with too much air allowed into the fuel mixture. This is a "lean condition". It seems your motor is soft-seizing, which is a way of saying the piston/rings are getting too hot (large) for them to slide up and down in the cylinder. That will cause damage to all of the metal surfaces and, if continued, will ruin the top end components. The first thing is you need the air filter in place and it must be damp with 2-stroke oil (not dripping wet but just squeezed out damp) and it needs to be sealed in-place (cover in place w/no extra holes/openings) for the carburetor to have the correct amount of back pressure to "draw" fuel up out of the bowl, into the motor so that it will prevent a soft-seize or "lean" condition. Also, You must be sure to have good 2-stroke oil in the oil reservoir. It does not need too much oil, but the right amount. Read up on 2-strokes and the forum is always here to try and help with any questions. :thumbwink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
chazdo2
Noob
Noob

Re: 2001 Honda Elite 50 trouble!!!

Post by chazdo2 »

Thank you so much!!!!!