Spree n00b - kickstart help!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SLiMeX
Noob
Noob

Spree n00b - kickstart help!

Post by SLiMeX »

I picked up a 1986 Honda Spree off Craigslist, and when I bought it, before I handed the cash to the owner, I checked it out, drove it around, let it run for a few minutes, checked the tires, etc. The battery was shot so he claimed that all he ever did was kickstart it. So, he showed me it fired right up every time (which it did.) So I decided to bite and handed him the cash in exchange for the key and the title. Brought it home, and kickstarted it, drove it aorund a bit, ran great. Went to bed.

This morning I was going to take it to the train station, so when I went to kickstart it, the kickstart jammed (I'm attempting to describe what happened best) and got stuck in the "downward" position. I bent down, and pulled it back up (very hard) and it snapped back into place. I tried to kickstart it again and it seemed to be "locked" in the original spot. I can stand on it, and it won't budge.

So, was I sold a lemon? How difficult is this to fix? Like I said, it was running fine, but then the kickstart just decided to break or do whatever.

I was also curious if I just bought a new battery (if anyone could recommend a good place to get a replacement for it) could I just use the electric start instead of the kick? Please let me know, I'm a but frusterated with the whole situation and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
Streetglow
Goped
Goped

Post by Streetglow »

I could swear there was a post on here 2 hours ago by the person that sold it.
86 Spree (w/neon)
SLiMeX
Noob
Noob

Post by SLiMeX »

It's possible, he did recommend me to these forums...
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

ok. i sold you the scooter. same thing happened to my little brother when he was riding it. he wasnt kicking it hard enough. and then the kick start wasnt returning. ive never had a problem with the kick start. if you continue to have a problem with it youll have to remove the cover and see what the problem is. its just a handful of 8mm bolts to remove it. the battery is less than a year old. you could try charging it. i did make a post earlier complaining about how * it is to sell people scooters because you always seem to sell to someone who wants one thats perfect for next to no money. i decided to just delete the post and inform the buyer about this site which has been very helpful to me.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
SLiMeX
Noob
Noob

Post by SLiMeX »

nate_lohs wrote:ok. i sold you the scooter. same thing happened to my little brother when he was riding it. he wasnt kicking it hard enough. and then the kick start wasnt returning. ive never had a problem with the kick start. if you continue to have a problem with it youll have to remove the cover and see what the problem is. its just a handful of 8mm bolts to remove it. the battery is less than a year old. you could try charging it. i did make a post earlier complaining about how * it is to sell people scooters because you always seem to sell to someone who wants one thats perfect for next to no money. i decided to just delete the post and inform the buyer about this site which has been very helpful to me.
Nate, I apologize for sounding like such an *. By no means was I looking for a perfect scooter, but it just was aggravating when the day after I bought it, it broke. I took off the cover, and inside there are two parts, one has a spring coil, and the other a part that turns the belt inside. I believe the part with the coil is the culprit. I'll post to see if I got it to work any better, but it seems like the kickstart was stuck, so I slammed my foot down hard to get it to un-stick, and now it seems to be jammed.
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

with the cover off does the kick start rotate easily? also pull the kick start lever out away from the cover, see if there is any play. possibly the snap ring isnt in the groove on the kick start shaft allowing it to slide in and out.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
SLiMeX
Noob
Noob

Post by SLiMeX »

nate_lohs wrote:with the cover off does the kick start rotate easily? also pull the kick start lever out away from the cover, see if there is any play. possibly the snap ring isnt in the groove on the kick start shaft allowing it to slide in and out.
The kickstart doesn't rotate easily with the cover off, and there is in fact 'play' with it. I can wobble it back and forth, etc.
SLiMeX
Noob
Noob

Post by SLiMeX »

Any ideas anyone?
Streetglow
Goped
Goped

Post by Streetglow »

there is always some play in the kick starter.
86 Spree (w/neon)
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

it shouldnt rotate really easy. just aslong as it rotates. id stick it back on. and buy a battery if you have trouble kick starting it. or try charging the battery thats in there, it could hold a charge.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

I rebuild kick-starts.
Sometimes its the bushings and the half moon gear could be worn.
My kick starters come with a 30 day warranty.
You can't push start a spree, but you don't need a battery to start them either.
Let me know, greg
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

hey you ever figure this out or get a battery?
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

I've got the exact same problem on mine. The only thing is - I can't even get the left crankcase cover off. I removed the six 8mm screws....the manula says to remove the kickstarter, but doesn't say how.

How do you "remove the snap ring and washer from the kickstarter spindle"?

my kickstarter is completely seized.

help
thanks
mike (in Nova Scotia)
uspmale
Spree
Spree

kick start cover

Post by uspmale »

You'll need a snap ring pliers to remove the ring.
Gently pry on the edge and tap with a rubber mallet.
This should free the side cover.