Swapping Rear '86 Honda Aero Wheel

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ChicagoNeighbor
Noob
Noob

Swapping Rear '86 Honda Aero Wheel

Post by ChicagoNeighbor »

Hi friends,

I am trying to replace my Aero rear wheel because the last few owners have left a pretty significant wobble on it. I have done some research and found that I can replace the aero wheel with a metro wheel since it is more structurally sound. However, I do have a caveat. I know it isn't within the specifications but I bought this scooter partially so I could take my girlfriend on short rides from time to time. The Aero clearly states that it is not meant for two passengers and that its weight limit is 180lbs (if I am correct). So I have two questions, 1) If I swap the Aero wheel with a metro wheel, will I have bottoming out issues with a 90/90 tire? I am worried that if I put another person on, (which will obviously bottom out the suspension) I will have rubbing on the undercarriage. 2) Is it even worth it to worry about swapping with a metro wheel, or will I run into the same rim-bending issues as I would with an Aero wheel? I know some of you might get upset that I am riding occasionally with two people, but know I won't be doing it very often/very fast/very long.

Thank you for all your help in advance.
Wheelman-111

Re: Swapping Rear '86 Honda Aero Wheel

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The early Met wheel is a bolt-on - there are some late-model (2016?) exceptions. The 90/90 tire MIGHT foul the centerstand, but not sure and the stand can be modified accordingly. The rims don't bend from rider load but from poor tire mounting technique or perhaps careless use over potholes, curb cuts, etc. The upgrade to larger tire and Tubeless mounting is definitely worth the trouble.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
ChicagoNeighbor
Noob
Noob

Wheelman-111 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 pm Greetings:

The early Met wheel is a bolt-on - there are some late-model (2016?) exceptions. The 90/90 tire MIGHT foul the centerstand, but not sure and the stand can be modified accordingly. The rims don't bend from rider load but from poor tire mounting technique or perhaps careless use over potholes, curb cuts, etc. The upgrade to larger tire and Tubeless mounting is definitely worth the trouble.
Thank you for the tip! Do you have a metro wheel from a specific year that you think is best for the job? I’m looking at 2006 on eBay right now
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

2006 should be just fine. Honda went to a different design and country source for the "Metropolitan" later in the 20-teens. Weird that it went to liquid-cooled, then back to air-cooled and fuel-injected at some point - but I don't know the exact years of these changes. Be advised that you can buy a brand-new 1st-gen Met wheel, with the rim and rear brake drum assured to be true, for about $100 shipped from just about any dealer website or aftermarket MC parts supplier. You can get hosed if the seller is selling for these reasons.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
ChicagoNeighbor
Noob
Noob

Wheelman-111 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:47 am Greetings:

2006 should be just fine. Honda went to a different design and country source for the "Metropolitan" later in the 20-teens. Weird that it went to liquid-cooled, then back to air-cooled and fuel-injected at some point - but I don't know the exact years of these changes. Be advised that you can buy a brand-new 1st-gen Met wheel, with the rim and rear brake drum assured to be true, for about $100 shipped from just about any dealer website or aftermarket MC parts supplier. You can get hosed if the seller is selling for these reasons.
Do you have a link to a dealership you’ve used before? I’ve looked on a lot of sites and haven’t found anything. So if you have something you’ve used that would be very helpful!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Here is a RIM
Enjoy!
Wheelman-111
ChicagoNeighbor
Noob
Noob

Wheelman-111 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:21 pm Greetings:

Here is a RIM
Enjoy!
Thank you very much! Also, since you seem like someone else who knows a lot, what is your opinion on riding with a passenger on the Aero? I feel like doing it all the time will just wear out the scooter too much and eventually break it. But maybe once a week is okay? I’m unsure about how much to bend the rules on this one.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Now you just hold on a minnit! I don' know Nuthin, an' anyone who sez otherwise is a dirty, stinkin' Liar! :)

AH,Ha-ha, I keed, I KEED you! The Aero already has limited rear suspension travel, and the damper is composed of Wrigley's Spearmint gum on a stick. The Official Specs limit weight to something under 200 pounds, which might have made sense in the 80s but is now an unrealistic value for many of today's fast-food-fed younger generation. Add a second person and you can see how the "official" weight limit is torpedoed, unless the two of them are Starving Artists or aspiring Victoria Secretes models. (Yes I meant to type it that way - Ha! Humor again!!)

On the other hand, all machines have a generous Fudge Factor built into them, probably ordained by the Legal Department to avoid lawsuits from people who exceed the Actual weight limit. The axle shaft rides in a swingarm box made of cast aluminum. While its abundant cast-in ribs and ridges reinforce the design, aluminum is a material known for light weight, easy relatively low-temp casting production but not for Titanic strength. Indeed there have been a few posts showing cracked cases due to off-roading and jumping. Riding for a short time or a long trip doesn't affect material failure much either way. If it's going to crack...

Lastly, there is the issue of the tiny saddle. Riding double will compress various Naughty Parts into close proximity, thus creating possible distractions and another Safety Concern. Tandem at your own risk.
Wheelman-111
ChicagoNeighbor
Noob
Noob

Well since it is my girlfriend riding behind me 90% of the time the last point actually ends up being a positive rather than a detriment lol. Thank you for your input. I purchased a new metro rim and tire, and I’ll install it sometime this month. I appreciate all your help. You have eased my anxieties greatly.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Check your centerstand as soon as you install the new (wider 90/90?) tire. You may see contact. The stand can be trimmed or bent outward if necessary. Not sure if the '86 centerstand is the same as my '87's was, but that one rubbed for sure.
Wheelman-111