89 Honda Elite E Oil Help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

lilspoog
Noob
Noob

89 Honda Elite E Oil Help

Post by lilspoog »

Hi, I am a new owner of a 1989 Honda Elite E but I don't have any experience with mopeds/motorcycles. I have noticed there is black oil on the engine but on the bottom, I have not noticed any spots in my garage yet. Is this an oil leak or an important issue? Also, since it is a 2 stroke does the oil need to be drained and filled every so often, or not? and what kind of 2 stroke oil would you recommend?

Please feel free to give me any extra information about oil and such for the 1989 Honda Elite E, thanks. Sorry if these are stupid questions. :confused:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 89 Honda Elite E Oil Help

Post by Meatball »

The gunk on the motor is normal. If its not leaking on the floor then its just typical road grime with probably some spilled oil and fuel from past owners bad aim when filling. There could be some seepage but usually these motors are just filthy.

There is no oil in the 2-stroke crankcase. 2-stroke Oil just needs to be added to the oil reservoir in the same manner as the fuel. The bike needs to run on mixed oil/fuel and it does this mixture FOR you internally. Its critical you NEVER let the oil reservoir run dry. This will destroy your motor.

Just use a good name brand (2-stroke) oil. Be sure it CLEARLY says its for 2-stroke. Regular motor oil will not work. Stay away from junk generic oil for a boat or chainsaw or Walmart garbage. Look to spend a couple bucks more for quality but one quart will last you forever.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.