spark, fuel, compression, no start. 84 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

52north
BMX
BMX

spark, fuel, compression, no start. 84 Spree

Post by 52north »

I've recently got my 1984 Spree running after a rebuild. I've taken it out for a couple short rides. This time I rode it for approximately 10 to 15 minutes and the engine died on me. It almost sounded as though it simply ran out of fuel. Before it quit running it ran very well. It started easily and had a top speed of around 27 mph. It turns over, has spark and its getting fuel. Compression is on the low side at 100 psi holding throttle wide open. Although I've read that 90 psi should be enough to start a Spree. Carburetor has been cleaned a couple times and all orifices are clear. Auto by-starter has been tested and works. Fuel tank is clean and petcock strainer is clear. Spark seems very strong as the arc will jump approximately 3/8". Original exhaust and air box. I've tried pouring mixed fuel directly into the spark plug hole but it still doesn't fire. I'm thinking the issue may be a faulty CDI box or piston/rings. Before i try those things does anyone have any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: spark, fuel, compression, no start. 84 Spree

Post by vintagegarage »

Have a look at this discussion.. :

http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32935

Please report back if this is the problem. If it isn't let us know.. much appreciated.
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

Sure enough that is the problem. I think the issue may have been caused by the installation of the seal from the engine shop. If you look closely at the image you will see the seal is deformed by the die used to press it in. The die used should have been more closely matched to the outside diameter of the seal. By using a smaller die and deforming the seal it may have "rolled" the outside surface inwards and reduced the outside diameter. Thanks for the heads up on the thread discussing this problem. My searches weren't successful in matching my symptoms with a cause.
Attachments
seal.jpg
seal.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

52north.. good job.. thanks for the report and photo. Fortunately those seals are still available from your local Honda Powersports dealer or from one of the online parts houses, see:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... e-oil-pump

Yes, the die to push it in should only push on the outside ring of the seal. You might be able to make a die out a 6 inch long piece of plastic water pipe of the correct diameter. Those seals sometimes blow out when they get old, but I have never had a new one blow out after I have installed it. I have had 4 Sprees, and 2 SB50 Elites, and found 3 blown seals.. so my average is 3/6... LOL about 50%. I have never seen the crank seals blow out of any other Honda 50 cc two strokes.. only on the Sprees and SB50s.
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

Nice to know that these seals are still available from Honda. I had purchased them from a local bearing supply company. It is possible that was also part of the problem. I can't remember the exact dimensions when i compared my old seal with my new one but they were very close. If i blow this seal again I will definitely purchase the Honda seal. I did find a nice piece of aluminum round to push the seal in. I'm a little ticked the engine shop didn't do a better job installing the seals.