Spree isn't starting

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

M A N G O
Noob
Noob

Spree isn't starting

Post by M A N G O »

hey, I have a '84 spree that isn't starting, I put a new carb in it the other day, and the thing just won't start, the bike has spark, has gas and oil, just won't fully fire, even with starting fluid, the only issue that I can find is with my fuel tank/line, and that something weird is going on where the line will fill up half way, then stop filling, and when I disconnect it from the petcock the rest of the gas in the line flows into the carb just fine, mabye there's a vacuum thats stopping gas from freely flowing? Idk, any info helps
Wheelman-111

Re: Spree isn't starting

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Gas, Check. Spark, Check. What's the other ingredient for Internal Combustion, boys and girls? Yes. Compression. Harbor Freight has an affordable kit to check it. Minimal disassembly and fast to perform. Hold the throttle wide open while you crank, or remove the carb. Reed valve must be in position. If you have compression and still no Ignition, find a replacement gasket and check the reed valve assembly.

What was the source of your "New" carb? On Sprees, everything must be connected, including the air box with a filter, to work right. The fuel flow from the tank into the fuel line is supposed to stop with the engine off. Vacuum, created by a running engine or mouth suction applied to the thinner line to the fuel valve, opens a valve in the assembly and lets fuel flow. You can check that, in fact might be a good idea to "prime" your carb by sucking for a few seconds on the vacuum line to fill the carb bowl.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH