Spree kickstand removal!!?!? Please help!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

justboughthondaspree
Noob
Noob

Spree kickstand removal!!?!? Please help!!!

Post by justboughthondaspree »

Hey guys, recently my Spree's rear tire popped due to the kickstand rubbing against it after it bent during a turn because of the loose kickstand spring. I tried getting the spring off, way too tight for me. Only managed to bend it just a bit. How do I get the spring off? Also what aftermarket kick stands are the best, under 50$ preferably, if they even exist. Or should I just buy a used stand? Thanks guys.
86 Spree
Just keep trying!
It'll start some day!
Wheelman-111

Re: Spree kickstand removal!!?!? Please help!!!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Those springs are pretty darned stiff, as they must be to retain the stand retracted. A hook tool or good ol' Vise Grips and a good strong arm are necessary. You may need someone to hold the scooter, as you have to pull that hard. People have fabricated and adapted kickstands to Sprees over the years, but it does require some metal fab skills. A used stock stand should be fairly easy to find, But first you have to get that spring off...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Re: Spree kickstand removal!!?!? Please help!!!

Post by otto-man »

Ahhhh yes, the Spree kickstand removal and reinstall! Usually bloody knuckles and using words not suitable for kids is what happens. Here's what I do. If you have a stand, clamp the front wheel or have someone hold the scooter. With the stand up, remove the cotter key from the right side and slide the pivot pin out. If the spring is in the way, you'll have to take it off. When putting kickstand back on, hook the spring onto the frame so that the open part is down (then you will have room to remove or install the pivot pin next time). Then hook the spring onto the kickstand, push the pin through the frame and kickstand on the left side with the stand up and at an angle towards you so the spring is loose. With pin partially in, line up the right side while keeping the parts together and slide pin in through frame. Don't forget the cotter key. Hopefully I've explained it clear enough. Good luck!