Help identifying part on 97 Honda Elite 80

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

safesinger
Noob
Noob

Help identifying part on 97 Honda Elite 80

Post by safesinger »

Hello,

Looking for help to identify the part. I am trying to locate where it's leaking oil from the part is circled in red. The REason I pinpointed this is because it was covered in dirt and oil and seems to be coming from thee. The line runs from the part I need identified to the top of the engine.
It may have nothing to do with oil leak.

Thanks for any input & help

motormike

Re: Help identifying part on 97 Honda Elite 80

Post by motormike »

It appears that is a crankcase vent that is using intake vacuum to vent crankcase vapor into the cylinder for expulsion through the exhaust. Looks to be serviceable and could very well be your source of oil leaking if it is full or plugged. My explanation is based solely on looking at the parts diagram, and 50 years of experience.
Edit: If there is too much oil in the engine, it would end up here, in this canister.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
safesinger
Noob
Noob

Post by safesinger »

Was full of oil and the rubber O-Ring is stretched out really badly.
Where would I get a o-ring for that? What would I even ask for? Look for a Crankcase vent rubber o-ring?
It's so stretched out that the crankcase top can go right through it.
safesinger
Noob
Noob

Post by safesinger »

Okay update I had an o-ring in a package under the seat didn't know it was there until I looked, So I fixed and cleaned up oil around motor best I could drove around till it got nice and warmed up and it appears to be dripping from where the Carborator connects?!

You can see where the wind blew the dripping oil on the back side or on the rear fender.
I have no clue is that even possible that it is leaking oil there?
There is fresh oil leaking in the picture because I just did oil change a few days back anddirectly under it dark black oil is dripping. Driving me nuts it has oil leaks galore!

pic circled in red
motormike

Post by motormike »

That dark black oil is probably the stuff that has accumulated in that canister. Did you clean it ?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
safesinger
Noob
Noob

Post by safesinger »

Yes, I did was leaking from the crankcase cover as well.
Could actually see where it was leaking from. The gasket was no good.
Since I am so far in at this point I am seriously debating on just replacing all the gaskets.
I tried cleaning the lower Cylinder head casing best I could but was not comfortable spraying degreaser on it then spraying it off with the spark plug out and exhaust off.
There is just so much grease, oil and grime all over the motor & the back end & under the crankcase it's hard to tell if there are also leaks there.
Going to try and clean it up best I can tomorrow with more degreaser get it warmed up and see if there are other oil leaks.
safesinger
Noob
Noob

Post by safesinger »

Here is what the motor looked like before I seriously wiped it down and cleaned it up. It was lightly wiped at this point just took off the cylinder head to check gasket and cleaned the top well with degreaser.

Looks like oil was definitely coming from the top.