Replacement Carburetor Question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jdsime1
BMX
BMX

Replacement Carburetor Question

Post by jdsime1 »

Hey, all. I'm Dan. Newbie here. I recently acquired an 84 Spree and then got an 87 yesterday. They are both "can run/will run" projects. I have a quick, easy question about an extra, unused nipple on a brand new replacement carburetor that came with one of Sprees. Neither of the old carbs had this, only the new one. It is right next to the fuel line port and is skinnier than the fuel line port. I'm assuming this is just an extra port that I should plug off with a rubber nipple cap. Am I correct in my assumption? Thanks in advance. Oh, and just a forewarning, you all are stuck with me. I was into these at age 15 and now again at 47. This has been fun tearing into these again and reading the numerous valuable, informative threads and posts. Lots of stuff to learn here! 😁
Attachments
20210612_042602.jpg
20210612_042602.jpg (404.25 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
20210612_041946.jpg
20210612_041946.jpg (153.03 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Replacement Carburetor Question

Post by Ben L. »

Is it for oil injection?

I would recommend if you have the stock carbs to rebuild those and reinstall. Promise they’ll give you less headaches.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I would say to find the purpose of that port with some study, before capping it off. If it leads into the float bowl above the level of fuel in the bulb, it might be a vent, and probably shouldn't be blocked off. You would then put a short piece of hose on it, and route the end of the hose out the bottom of the spree, where if the fuel level in the bowl gets too high, the excess runs out to the ground. If it has a another purpose, understand that purpose and make a decision.

(ed.) read ahead three posts in this thread for the correct answer from mousewheels.
Last edited by vintagegarage on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdsime1
BMX
BMX

Post by jdsime1 »

It already has a small 90° rubber hose on another port high up on the carb. I was assuming that was the vent. For all lines associated, I have both the oil line and vacuum line that go into the intake manifold. Then on the carb are the fuel feed line, the float bowl drain line, and lastly, the vent with the 90° bent rubber line on it...leaving that one wide open with nothing else possible left to connect to it. Ebay is peppered with these carbs. Hopefully someone has bought one of these carbs and knows the scoop on what needs done with that port/nipple.. 🙂
motormike

Post by motormike »

jdsime1 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:34 am I was assuming...🙂
Don't do that... :urban: ...motor
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I agree with BenL, that tube is used as an oil lint input. It is not required for the Spree and should be capped off.
If not capped off it will cause an air leak.

The Honde Elite E (SB50) of 1988-89 used a carb like your 'clone' The Elite E had only one tap on the intake manifold for vaccum, and the tap on the carb was used for oil.

This is an image I made for the wiki of the Elite E SB50 carb lines:
SB50_Carb.JPG
SB50_Carb.JPG (43.14 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
jdsime1
BMX
BMX

Post by jdsime1 »

Awesome. That is great to know. As for assuming, I know better than to do that and roll with it lol! It has just sat there untouched until I learned the answer. Now I'll dare to touch it! Now I should get the better elite intake manifold and better reed pedals. Not looking toward performance gains persay, just efficiency. Thank you so much for the input. Hopefully I get a chance later to get out there to prep the new battery, button a few other things up on it and get it to start. 🙂