1985 Spree lurched after going up hill

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

andrew_v
Noob
Noob

1985 Spree lurched after going up hill

Post by andrew_v »

Hi all, I have a 1985 Spree.
I have the SSS speed pulley installed.
I was flooring it up a hill.
For some reason, it eventually sounded like it was dying.
I pulled off to the side, then tried to get going again. It would lurch (like go, then lurch).
Any tips?
Could this potentially be a gear thing? I remember one of my friends saying that the gears were pretty worn down.
This guy says that something is a common problem with Sprees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63jBt0m ... uthhillsMx
Do you all think that this could be my issue?
Just a thought, but could be completely wrong: Drive belt?
Also, the acceleration noise is interuppted. It would go, then lurch (like, noise would cut out) and it keeping going wasn't great.
Temperature-wise, it's also pretty cold around here too.
Thanks for your help in advance!
:peace:
Andrew
The Spree Guy
"Life would be more fun
if everyone drove a moped"

1985 Honda Spree
- Speed Pulley from SSS :woot:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1985 Spree lurched after going up hill

Post by Meatball »

Id start with the belt. Then look at clutch. Its not worn gears unless the gear case been run dry but then the failure would be catastrophic, not just lurchy. If it didnt completely lock up, detonate like a grenade or screech like a cat stuck in a blender then the gears are fine. FYI: the video shows a worn Moon Gear. Its part of the kickstart system that has nothing to do with your symptoms. Besides, the 85 Sprees did not come equipped with a kickstart. If your 85’ has one, it is from an 86-87’.

Sounds like belt slippage. Measure the width with a micrometer to see if its within spec per the owner’s manual. Maybe try putting the OEM pulley back on for a bit and see if the problem persists. It could be clutch slippage but those are typically constant….not slip/grab/slip/grab.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.