Af16 build 2001 elite sa50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kleinlogan
Noob
Noob

Af16 build 2001 elite sa50

Post by kleinlogan »

I have a 2001 Elite Sa50 with Naraku Variator Kit, S23 1500 RPM contra spring, S23 clutch springs, S23 F2R exhaust, 16x36 gears stock carb and reeds but plan on getting malossi vl6 reed block. I have tuned it and it runs good smokes good on start up and when warm stays cool but one day I was on a longer trip and it died on me like it got to hot or ran out of fuel in the bowl do you think it needs a bigger carb to stay cooler for longer trips? Thoughts ideas?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Af16 build 2001 elite sa50

Post by Meatball »

The only thing on the list that would make it smoke, run hot or randomly die is the exhaust. Everything else is gears or cvt stuff. Slapping on a sporty exhaust pipe to your otherwise stock setup requires adjustments to fuel and sometimes airbox. On modern cars, sensors send signals to a computer that makes these fuel/air adjustments for you but for these old beasts..YOU are the sensor and computer. To make the correct adjustments you need to first diagnose the problem. Be the sensor..then be the computer.

fwiw, adding an exhaust typically requires an upjet. However, if it were just lean, it wouldnt smoke so much. Could also be back pressure deficient. The stock jug doesnt respond well to non-oem exhausts.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

It sounds like it is over-heating from lack of fuel. Up the main jet or risk serious damage if it hasn't already done that. Yes, you need a temperature gauge to monitor the cylinder. The best type to get is the cht gauge-cylinder head temperature gauge- it installs the sensor right around the spark plug(14mm)so you get quick notification of the condition inside the cylinder before it roasts the piston. What exhaust pipe are you using? Maybe ask the person you got it from a few questions about how to set it up properly? What spark plug are you using? What oil and how is it getting into the cylinder? Let me know what your answer is on these please.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
kleinlogan
Noob
Noob

Post by kleinlogan »

bonesv wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:27 pm It sounds like it is over-heating from lack of fuel. Up the main jet or risk serious damage if it hasn't already done that. Yes, you need a temperature gauge to monitor the cylinder. The best type to get is the cht gauge-cylinder head temperature gauge- it installs the sensor right around the spark plug(14mm)so you get quick notification of the condition inside the cylinder before it roasts the piston. What exhaust pipe are you using? Maybe ask the person you got it from a few questions about how to set it up properly? What spark plug are you using? What oil and how is it getting into the cylinder? Let me know what your answer is on these please.
It has a 82cc big bore too. I got it out today and it had a top temp of 280 after running all out. It then has a lingering high idle after, maybe lean? I run 32:1. It seems to bog a little of the start once it's at operating temp. S23 f2r exhaust stock carb and air filter
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

kleinlogan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 pm
bonesv wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:27 pm It sounds like it is over-heating from lack of fuel. Up the main jet or risk serious damage if it hasn't already done that. Yes, you need a temperature gauge to monitor the cylinder. The best type to get is the cht gauge-cylinder head temperature gauge- it installs the sensor right around the spark plug(14mm)so you get quick notification of the condition inside the cylinder before it roasts the piston. What exhaust pipe are you using? Maybe ask the person you got it from a few questions about how to set it up properly? What spark plug are you using? What oil and how is it getting into the cylinder? Let me know what your answer is on these please.
It has a 82cc big bore too. I got it out today and it had a top temp of 280 after running all out. It then has a lingering high idle after, maybe lean? I run 32:1. It seems to bog a little of the start once it's at operating temp. S23 f2r exhaust stock carb and air filter
get rid of the stock carb and use your best skills to tune it rich at first. You can always lean it out if it requires. Yea, if it's got less than 400-500 miles on it just ease back from wot just yet. Let it begin to seat the rings if that's what it needs. :2thumbs:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861