Flash 9: A Malfunction! (Heavens to Betsy!)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Flash 9: A Malfunction! (Heavens to Betsy!)

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It somehow came to my attention that Flash 9's brake lamp was no longer functional. As Feruccio famoously said, "What's-a behind me is-a not important", but I have to pass a State Inspection. I removed all the rear plastics before realizing that the lenses come off with 2 screws. Ah, well, Garage Therapy is good. Plus it allowed me to address some uh... wiring sins I had previously committed under there.

So I don't have a full electronical lab in my basement... Lookin' at YOU, MouseWheels! - but I did have this otherwise nearly useless car emergency gizmo charging on my workbench. Put to work with an old Multi-Tester probe for a handy light-checking thingy.
F9RunningLamp.jpg
F9RunningLamp.jpg (106.53 KiB) Viewed 4849 times
Oddly, it was the "Running" part of the bulb that failed the test. The "Brake" half of the bulb - Brighter than the other circuit - seemed fine:
F9BrakeLampA.jpg
F9BrakeLampA.jpg (105.37 KiB) Viewed 4849 times
So I'm stumped. I recall the Running AND Brake functions had been working previously when I installed the sleek JDM Wraparound taillamp, but it was Lo! these many years ago. Could memory be faulty? Some weird socket "migration"? Why did the bulb work at all? Was the bulb inserted backwards, and the brake light was lit all the time? Anyway, I had a spare two-filament bulb in my Junk Collection, installed, eventually and all is well. Bring on the State Gendarmerie!
F9Tail.jpg
F9Tail.jpg (134.35 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH