Will not accelerate over 5mph!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

KissaN50
Noob
Noob

Will not accelerate over 5mph!!

Post by KissaN50 »

I just bought an 87 NB50, had issues starting, carb removed & cleaned, so that's fixed..the issue now is that it will throttle all the way up, but it will not go anywhere without me pushing off with my feet to build up some momentum, then it will max out at 10mph...WITH me still pushing off when it starts to slow down, that's with the throttle maxed out...if I start it & throttle up while it's on kickstand I notice the front wheel just barely moves, VERY sluggish to start moving & never picks up speed....I was told it could be loose belt🤷 but I'm new to the mechanic-ing stuff, and I don't wanna make it worse or mess something else up by messing with stuff that doesn't need to be messed with 😁, so I thought I'd post here & see if anybody has had this issue or knows what the solution would be...Thank u😁
motormike

Re: Will not accelerate over 5mph!!

Post by motormike »

Belt and/or variator weights and/or clutch
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
KissaN50
Noob
Noob

Post by KissaN50 »

Just checked the belt, it's good...& now I'ma golook up variator weights cuz I have absolutely no idea what those are🤣 thank u @motormike
motormike

Post by motormike »

KissaN50 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:47 am ..if I start it & throttle up while it's on kickstand I notice the front wheel just barely moves,
You have confused me with this statement about FRONT wheel....it's the REAR wheel that drives the scooter...it's not a front wheel drive.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
rdprentiss
Noob
Noob

Post by rdprentiss »

Did you ever resolve your problem? I have a similar issue with my 86 Spree. While running fine, it will randomly lose power, then pick back up again. Sometimes it fails to pick back up, and will glide slowly to a stop, with engine dead. The engine will start right back up, and the bike will accelerate as normal for about 3 seconds, then lose all acceleration and barely move the bike at a walking pace. It is as if the governor somehow kicks in and stalls the engine after a few seconds of run. Then, after sitting for a while, half hour or so, it will start and run fine. Am looking for a solution.