new to forum

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Canadianelite
Noob
Noob

new to forum

Post by Canadianelite »

hello evry1 im new here, just got a 85 elite 250,that has about 30000km.the day I got it, it ran for about 5 minutes,then stalled out.it turns over sounds like its just about to start but doesn't.now this bike came from the mountains, and the previous owner briefly mentioned that he had changed the carb for a bigger one, and he adjusted the carb to run rite in elevation.
so where would you guys start?can someone point me in any direction.please and thank you
motormike

Re: new to forum

Post by motormike »

I would begin with a very close inspection of the carburetor internally. Cleaning and verifying all the jets and passages as open and flowing. Checking the jet sizes and recording what i find. Then the gas tank and petcock, checking for rust and debris. Clean and de-rust if needed, and then install a clear fuel filter inline to observe any passing debris. Inspect and replace any fuel lines that looked OEM because they can become degraded and swollen inside to reduce flow. Air filter clean and oiled if needed. New spark plug, fresh gasoline, and see what happens.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Canadianelite
Noob
Noob

Post by Canadianelite »

ok well thank you I will do that tomm.
I went and re did some of the electrical connections that needed attention, how ever I noticed that their was no gas flowing thru some of the clear lines coming from the filter, so I will get some new lines and a filter as well as go thru the things you mentioned.i did try and start it again today, and for a split second it sounded like it was gonna start but didn't.
oak ill let you know how it goes. thank you for your time.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Fuel will ONLY flow through the line when engine is cranking or running. It takes vacuum from the engine in order for the petcock to open and allow flow.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Typically you would down-jet for higher elevation and not that much. When I was up about 4000ft I noticed the scoot was a bit of a turd. Acted like the jet was too fat and didnt have any on me. I just raised the needle to the top notch and it was good to go.

Changing to a bigger carb might be a bit drastic. A simple jet swap is all that is needed in the upper hills. I would try to source an original OEM carb from Ebay or something, put the stock jets in and let er rip. Honda-san chose that carb for good reason.

Also do what Mike says. Theres probably all sorts of gunk in the fuel system.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Canadianelite
Noob
Noob

Post by Canadianelite »

hey thanks,so the previous owner did put a different carb,but gave me the OEM as well.i guess ill try putting back the OEM carb.
so I got her to run,but she dies all the time after about 1 minute of riding.and only starts when I cover the front of the carb.im so * off and disappointed ,I wanna go and kick the previous owners *,basterd.
what u guys suggest I go for a carb kit? does it matter if its some whatever company or should I go for a specific kit? thanks dudes. i just wanna cruise the damm thing already,I spent money to have it s*** on me.anyway
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Canadianelite wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:25 pm only starts when I cover the front of the carb
Are you running it with no airbox?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.