Carb upgrade?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Carb upgrade?

Post by zz28zz »

I have a 1987 Elite 50 I bought from a kid abt 20 years ago. Got it running and then it got put away (long story). Bringing it back to life now. On the data plate it says it's a "SE50 P". However when I downloaded the manual, it says the carb I have is for a "SE50". The SE50 carb has a different part #, uses a larger main jet and the recommended idle mixture adj setting is different. Was this an "upgrade" by prev owner? Was the SE50 P a de-rated version (for Iowa maybe)??
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Carb upgrade?

Post by Meatball »

The “P” was the restricted version. The non-P had a different exhaust, taller trans gears, and a different ramp plate. The carbs were the same except for a slightly bigger main jet. The speedo also showed up to 45 but could never quite get there in stock form without a big hill or gale force backwind.

If it were me, I would swap the ramp plate for one that has US2 stamped on it and call it good. That will get you better acceleration and a few clicks up top. The exhaust and gear upgrades are impossible to find, cost way too much if you do and the improvements are underwhelming.

FYI: the "US2" ramp plate sourced from a 1985 Honda NB50 Aero. Other years/models do not fit. Must be 85’.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

Thx for the info. I suspect the prev owner may have swapped some parts out looking for better performance but it wasn't running when I bought it. Is there an easy way to tell if the exhaust is a "P" or "non-P" version?
motormike

Post by motormike »

zz28zz wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:28 pm Is there an easy way to tell if the exhaust is a "P" or "non-P" version?
Generally, a restricted pipe will have a smaller diameter head-pipe that maintains the same diameter the entire length, whereas the "hotter" pipe will have a stepped diameter from head to muffler. I can't speak with experience pertaining to the '87 Elite SE...even though i owned one before...lol...but as you see in the pic, this pipe is restricted. I think (maybe) the '87 SE was a model that only got the restricted pipe.
Attachments
Elite e.jpg
Elite e.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 871 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

Thx. Looks like I have the restrictive version but that's fine for my intended use.