Electrical gremlins.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

maineguide
Noob
Noob

Electrical gremlins.

Post by maineguide »

I have done a bunch of work on my 1986 spree. I only has 430 miles on it but it hasn't run in 20 years.I did all the recommended gas tank and carb cleaning new oil and tires. and with a bit of tinkering got it to run. Now a bunch of gremlins have popped up the main one is with no key.. switch turned off.. and brakes open when I touch the battery with the black wire the starter turns over. I installed a new starter relay during the process of rebuilding. Also the tail light stays on even if everything is turned off unless I pull a wire from the battery. anyone have an idea where to start? I'm not good with car wiring.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Re: Electrical gremlins.

Post by maineguide »

I Figured out the tail light issue. The light wires that grounded on the back rack were not connected and doing that solved the tail light . I also worked the key switch and squirted some carb cleaner. But still if I connect the battery up the starter turns over instantly. If the key and the red shutoff switch are on the motor will instantly fire. If they are off the starter will just crank. something is overriding the starter button. Any guesses would be most welcome. Thanks.
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

Not intimately familiar with that model, but sounds like your starter relay is stuck closed. Find it and measure resistance across the 2 large connectors/ posts with the wiring disconnected ( be sure to disconnect batt first!). Not sure where it's located on your model but if you follow the wire from starter motor, it goes directly to it.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

That sounds right .it is brand new but I can get another one off the net.Also the brake shut off do not work at all. But perhaps that's because everything is being overwhelmed by the faulty starter relay. Thanks.
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

If the starter relay is new, you may have a different issue There may be a short somewhere telling the relay to engage. Hopefully you have a hand-held volt meter you can measure the smaller wires on the starter relay with. I'd much rather troubleshoot than throw parts at it. A electrical schematic would be pretty helpful.
motormike

Post by motormike »

You can access the Spree service manual and owners manual in the board index.
Wiring schematics will be included, possibly in both manuals.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"