87 Elite Battery suggestions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

donut
Elite
Elite

87 Elite Battery suggestions

Post by donut »

Hi! Hopefully picking up an Elite Saturday that needs a battery. Any brand or source anyone might recommend? Thank you! I think it takes a YTX4L-BS.
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 87 Elite Battery suggestions

Post by Meatball »

Cheaper the better. The ones off ebay for less than $20 last me 3-4yrs with no issues. Would probably last longer if put em on a tender during winter months but I dont.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

Thank you. I ended up buying from Battery Plus on Sat. The scoot was located in the middle of a national forrest and the blinkers stopped working upon my pre-purchase look see... called a retired tech via sellers wifi (zero reception an hour from a town...) He shared with the battery almost dead, the blinkers relay needed more charge to function (head/tail lights & horn worked) So I splurged on the battery to see if the blinkers would be an issue. Happy to say they work fine... But the rear brake handle has no stopping power and the kill switch isn't working... sigh... just downloaded the manual and hoping these are easy fixes (especially the brakes!) Sorry for the babbling post... I'm actually excited to be back in scootville... even on a 25 mph restricted scoot!
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Try to tighten the rear brake cable adjustment screw a few clicks. Just dont over-tighten and create drag. Inspect brake shoes and replace if needed. Shoes are cheap compared to buying a new wheel.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

On the rear brake, make sure the cable is working freely. If it's sticky, consider replacing it. Much better braking force that way.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

Meatball wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:13 am Try to tighten the rear brake cable adjustment screw a few clicks. Just dont over-tighten and create drag. Inspect brake shoes and replace if needed. Shoes are cheap compared to buying a new wheel.
Thank you. The former owner stated he replaced the tires and brakes. I just printed and bound the manual (thank you for the download!) and will be checking the rear brake asap!
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

noiseguy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:09 am On the rear brake, make sure the cable is working freely. If it's sticky, consider replacing it. Much better braking force that way.
Does working freely reference when the lever is engaged it feels smooth when squeezing and letting go please?
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Yes, basically. To really assess it you need to disconnect at the rear brake. Cable should glide freely, almost zero friction (which new cables have.)

If it works, don't mess with it, just something to watch. Remembering they are sort of a pain to replace as you have to thread them through the frame and bodywork.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

noiseguy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:42 am Yes, basically. To really assess it you need to disconnect at the rear brake. Cable should glide freely, almost zero friction (which new cables have.)

If it works, don't mess with it, just something to watch. Remembering they are sort of a pain to replace as you have to thread them through the frame and bodywork.
Thank you again!
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone