Transmission Issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

caw0215
Noob
Noob

Transmission Issue

Post by caw0215 »

Hi I'm troubleshooting a 1994 SR Elite that has been in a garage for maybe 10+ years or so. I can kick start it and get it fired up, rev the throttle, which shows promise. I did notice that the rear wheel is not spinning when I increase rpms. So I removed the kickstarter covers and can see that the belt is on. (pic attached)
Symptoms
-Spin the belt manually and the rear wheel does not spin
-Spin the driven gear (left) and the belt spins, pinion starter is not engaged ( too recessed to engage with driven gear ), but the rear wheel does spin
-Spin the clutch pulley and only the rear wheel spins
Any ideas or guidance appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
CVT.jpg
CVT.jpg (585.03 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
caw0215
Noob
Noob

Re: Transmission Issue

Post by caw0215 »

<Correction>
Symptoms
-Spin the belt manually and the rear wheel does not spin
-Spin the driven gear (left) and the belt spins, pinion starter is not engaged ( too recessed to engage with driven gear ), but the rear wheel does NOT spin
-Spin the clutch pulley and only the rear wheel spins
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

Your 3 (corrected) symptoms seem normal for eng OFF. Maybe clutch shoes are stuck in retracted position or RPMs weren't high enough to make clutch engage? Clutch won't engage until RPMs are kinda high.
caw0215
Noob
Noob

Post by caw0215 »

Thanks.. good news (I think) as I wasn’t ready to build or buy / make any more single use tools to remove the parts!

Haven’t found any gaskets online if anyone knows of a site pls post otherwise I can use some gasket maker and reassemble.
Thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

zz28zz wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:24 amclutch shoes are stuck in retracted position
This

Remove the bell and use a flathead screwdriver to “slightly” pry up on each clutch shoe. Just enough to break it free from stuck and not over stretch the spring. Good idea to replace the springs if they look rusted together.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
caw0215
Noob
Noob

Post by caw0215 »

Great advice @Meatball and @zz28zz! Not a lot of content on this model so much appreciated!