84 spree slow turn over - no start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tony dz
Noob
Noob

84 spree slow turn over - no start

Post by tony dz »

I have an '84 spree that hasn't been run in several years. When I attempt to start it the electric starter is real slow and sometimes stops after a few rotations.... (sometimes the wires start smoking
too)
It's a new battery and I've tried two others. When I remove the spark plug it turns over at a fast/normal speed, but not with the plug in. The muffler was clogged with something, so I removed the whole exhaust pipe for now.. I do have spark and gas and it seems like it's just too difficult to turn-over with the spark plug in. What am I missing?
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

If your wires are smoking that isn't good! You probally have a short somewhere or something else. I recomend not letting them smoke too much, it's definately not good for your wireing.
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

agreed smoking wires is not good, but it only happens if I let it crank too long.. It just seems like the starter has to work too hard get it to turn over. If I can figure out why it's difficult to turn over, I think that will solve my smoking wire issue.
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

best bet is to try and take apart the starter motor and see if it needs to be rebuilt. If you don't know how to take it off I would suggest you look in the tech docs section and download the manual.
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

after re-reading your initial post I think that you have either a very weak, or dying starter motor. I definately would suggest either getting a new one, rebuilding it, or if it isn't the starter motor then it could be in the wiring somewhere.
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

Thanks... I'll start focusing on the starter.. One other note.. when I attempt to start it, the tailight dims. It basically looks and sounds like a weak battery (that's why I tried 2 batteries and then bought a new one), but it could be a bad starter too.

Is there a way to hot-wire it straight to the battery so that I can tell if it's the wires or the starter?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

yea be careful if you let all of the smoke out it wont work anymore
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

Tailight dimming is ok, as long as it doesn't go out.
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

OK, tried two things tonight and back seeking help... 1) confirmed starter wire is seeing 12 volts when ingition pressed.. 2) disassembled, cleaned, and reinstalled starter... Still no change to my slow turnover.

I realize that the above don't entirely rule out a bad starter, but before I buy a new starter to find out and lose several days in the process is there anything else I should check first?

Is there any way to load test a starter?
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

anybody have any thoughts?
spree nut
Noob
Noob

Post by spree nut »

Before you spend money on a starter you might want to try finding a 86 or 87 belt cover so that you have kick start.
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

Just a thought, how easy is it to turn the motor over by hand? If you can't turn it by hand then something might be binding in the engine... berrings maybe?
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

We'll if the starter wasn't bad before, it is now... I fried it... I connected the battery straight to the starter.. it seemed to turn a bit stronger, but still not strong or fast enough to start it.. The wires got pretty warm, saw a few sparks, and eventually fried the starter.. Pulled the starter of to confirm... It's dead.

So why would this have fried my starter? Did I do somthing wrong or is this a sign I had a bad starter to begin with?

As to the previous question... the engine seems to turn over easy by hand. Haven't done this before so not sure what to expect but it seems to turn smooth. It does get more difficult as you move through the rotation as pressure builds inside the cylinder. Think this is normal, correct?

Definatley doesn't feel like anything is binding.
KZ250andSpree
BMX
BMX

Post by KZ250andSpree »

Can you kick start it or is that part of the problem?
BTW, you won't want to run it without the pipe, bad things can happen
1980 KZ250LTD (need to get it running ><)
1986 Spree
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

no kick starter on this model..