HONDA ELITE LX50 cranks but won’t start !

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

IBUILDFORYOU
Noob
Noob

HONDA ELITE LX50 cranks but won’t start !

Post by IBUILDFORYOU »

I have a 1989 Honda Elite LX50 that I stored away last year, at that time the scooter ran great with no issues, I took it out this week and tried starting it but all it does is crank! I did the usual emptied the gas and put new gas in, installed a new gas filter, checked and cleaned the spark plug, removed the carburetor and cleaned it inside and out, check the spark at the spark plug blue & strong, installed a new battery
. I’m new on this site and Hoping someone has the answer because I tried everything I know but all it does is crank but doesn’t even attempt to start !! Thanks and looking forward to any info you might be able to give me, Mike
motormike

Re: HONDA ELITE LX50 cranks but won’t start !

Post by motormike »

1. You said "scooter ran great" when you put it away. (so compression is #1)
2. You said "got spark". (so spark is #2)
3. You said you "cleaned carb inside and out" (so fuel delivery SHOULD be good)
4. You DID NOT say that you tried to prime the cylinder with fuel...did you ?
5. You DID NOT say if the scooter is stock, or modified.
My first suspicion is that you have neglected to get the carb completely clean, pilot jet in specific.
Sometimes the process needs to be done several times. My personal habit is to verify flow through every jet and port after cleaning, and before re-installing. My second thought is that some pesky insect has taken over your muffler and built a nest inside blocking exhaust flow. It will NOT start when that happens. There are many other things possible, such as old fuel hose swelling and closing down, shutting off fuel supply. The fact that the bike ran good before storage has swayed my opinion about carb still plugged or muffler plugged....good luck...motor
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
IBUILDFORYOU
Noob
Noob

Post by IBUILDFORYOU »

Hey Mike thanks for replying, Yea the compression should be between 117 and 170 when I took at it read 155 so that’s good, the scooter is my daughters and is all stock, Mike like yourself I have rebuilt many carbs mostly Holley and I also make double sure that all jets and ports are clear that’s what’s getting me I did try priming the cylinder but still nothing. I have built a lot of cars and to have such a simple little problem like this is kind of frustrating, compression is good, gas is good, spark is good but all she’ll do is crank, every once in awhile I do get a little puff of smoke from the carb like it did try but that’s it, I also tried readjusting the air but didn’t help, I really appreciate any info you do forward to me, Thanks…..The one thing I didn’t do was check the muffler, we did find a mouse nest which was pretty big so yea I’ll check the muffler tomorrow and let you know.
IBUILDFORYOU
Noob
Noob

Post by IBUILDFORYOU »

Hey Mike check this out !!!! Just went out to check the muffler and you were so right !!!! It is totally blocked !!! I’ll take it off tomorrow and clear it out, I’m kinda stumped though how do they pack it solid like that but do t go in to nest or anything, looks like wasps to me but we’ll find out tomorrow
motormike

Post by motormike »

IBUILDFORYOU wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:37 pm Hey Mike check this out !!!! Just went out to check the muffler and you were so right !!!! It is totally blocked !!! I’ll take it off tomorrow and clear it out, I’m kinda stumped though how do they pack it solid like that but do t go in to nest or anything, looks like wasps to me but we’ll find out tomorrow
Cool beans...you got this now. :thumbwink:
Most often it's mud-daubbers packing it with mud.
Could be paper wasps too....either way, be careful.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
IBUILDFORYOU
Noob
Noob

Post by IBUILDFORYOU »

Thanks Mike I really appreciate your feedback I will update you tomorrow ! I did try and attach the picture I took of how it was blocked but it would let me attach a picture saying the file was too big ! Take care !
IBUILDFORYOU
Noob
Noob

Post by IBUILDFORYOU »

Hey Mike, first I want to again thank you for your help ! The muffler was so backed up with dry mud I decided to take it off and flush the entire thing out while I had the muffler off I figured I might as well try and start it because with it off if that was the problem it should start well as soon as I turned the key it started like new ! I flushed out the muffler and there was so much mud that came out it’s so crazy what these bugs could do and if you wouldn’t have mentioned it I’m not sure I would have looked at that so thanks again ! Thanks again and safe riding !!!