85 Spree Won’t Start, Clean Carb, New Spark Plug

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Willem
Noob
Noob

85 Spree Won’t Start, Clean Carb, New Spark Plug

Post by Willem »

Ok, here’s the rub. I have searched this forum up and down, trying to find answers for my problems, to no avail. So i’ve decided to make an account and a post.

I bought my Spree in May, with under 700 original miles. Dude said he had recently cleaned the carb and it ran pretty well at that point. I rode it consistently for a little over a week, it always took a little effort to start (sometimes more than others) but once it was going it ran smooth. Anyway, i stopped using it much for the last few months (i tried sometime in June to start her up, tried adjusting idling and air fuel mix, but to no avail) but just decided to try to get it running again.

I cleaned the carb, oiled the air filter, replaced the spark plug (which i think was fouled and had some oil build up near the upper threads), but the bike won’t start. It starts with some carb cleaner in the carb, but just flares up for a second. It also sometimes flares up after sitting for a while? I’ve now cleaned the carb again, making sure to get every nook and cranny this time, but still nothing. The carb is definitely getting gas. If i crank the engine with the fuel hose off, it spits fuel out, and when i crank for a bit and open the float drain screw, fuel comes out. So it’s not a fuel problem ?

There is one think that i think might be the problem is that it doesn’t seem like the 2 stroke oil is mixing with the fuel. The fuel that comes out of the carb is clear, and i dont see any oil running through the clear pipe that goes from the little oiler thing to the carb (i’ll add a picture of it). I checked the hoses running from the oil reservoir to the oiler thingy, and they dont seem clogged, oil drips thru if i unplug them from there. Could that be my issue? Shouldn’t 2 strokes at least still fire up on normal gas?
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (108.88 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
I could be completely wrong on my diagnosis, i have no idea. Doesn’t really seem right, to be honest. All i could think of. Any help appreciated.
BROOM BROOm
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Re: 85 Spree Won’t Start, Clean Carb, New Spark Plug

Post by zz28zz »

Sounds like carb idle circuit is plugged up. I would try cleaning again. Might need an ultrasonic clean. Should run ethanol free fuel if possible.

I'm still trying to get mine to run right after sitting abt 20 years. The oil tank hose has a filter where it attaches to oil tank. Wouldn't hurt to removed it and clean it. Since I'm not sure the oiling sys is working properly, I've been running premix and have the oil hose to intake removed and routed to a catch container so I can see if it's flowing properly. Capped off the port where the oil hose goes to prevent a vacuum leak.

The oil pump doesn't flow much at all when it's working right. I saw a long thread on here abt this. I need to find that again but think someone said 5 drops per min at idle?? If there's air in the oiling sys, it will take a while to purge it all out. My plan was to leave oil line disconnected at intake and run a couple of tanks of premix thru it until I feel comfortable with oil pump performance.
Willem
Noob
Noob

Post by Willem »

zz28zz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:46 pm Sounds like carb idle circuit is plugged up. I would try cleaning again. Might need an ultrasonic clean. Should run ethanol free fuel if possible.

I'm still trying to get mine to run right after sitting abt 20 years. The oil tank hose has a filter where it attaches to oil tank. Wouldn't hurt to removed it and clean it. Since I'm not sure the oiling sys is working properly, I've been running premix and have the oil hose to intake removed and routed to a catch container so I can see if it's flowing properly. Capped off the port where the oil hose goes to prevent a vacuum leak.

The oil pump doesn't flow much at all when it's working right. I saw a long thread on here abt this. I need to find that again but think someone said 5 drops per min at idle?? If there's air in the oiling sys, it will take a while to purge it all out. My plan was to leave oil line disconnected at intake and run a couple of tanks of premix thru it until I feel comfortable with oil pump performance.
Awesome. Thank you so much for the response. I have been considering trying premix... we'll see. If it's as easy as removing the hose, attaching it to a drain container and capping off the vaccuum at the carb, I'll try it.

What exactly is a carb idle circuit? What specifically should I look for or be careful to clean when getting into the carb again?
BROOM BROOm
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

The premix is also good for the metal fuel tank since they are prone to rusting, especially if left unattended for long periods. My tank was in rough shape due to rust. Got it pretty clean now and the premix should stop it from rusting further while it's still down awaiting parts.

In regards to the idle circuit, it means all the small passages the fuel (and air) passes thru when at idle. Here's an excellent set of docs(and pics). Read all the carb related links. Also check out the bystarter link. Literally everything you need to know abt the carb.
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php?ti ... al_Section
Willem
Noob
Noob

Post by Willem »

zz28zz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:05 pm The premix is also good for the metal fuel tank since they are prone to rusting, especially if left unattended for long periods. My tank was in rough shape due to rust. Got it pretty clean now and the premix should stop it from rusting further while it's still down awaiting parts.

In regards to the idle circuit, it means all the small passages the fuel (and air) passes thru when at idle. Here's an excellent set of docs(and pics). Read all the carb related links. Also check out the bystarter link. Literally everything you need to know abt the carb.
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php?ti ... al_Section
Dude, i got her started and running great!! I did as you said (thank you for those resources by the way), and cleaned the carb VERY thoroughly, soaking all the jets and everything i could in carb cleaner and making sure to spray through every passage as well as i could. I decided against doing premix, because based on what you said it seems like my pump was running smoothly and I didn’t want to add another thing to work on. When I put the thing back together, I was quite disappointed to find that i was cranking and cranking and nothing was happening. I might add that my battery has gone bad (i dont think it was ever in great condition from when i bought it). It doesn’t hold voltage well, cranks relatively slowly, so i’ve just been hooking it to a 60A booster. I bought a new one but still shipping. Anyway, it wasn’t working but when I took the booster off, i cranked one last time and it fired up for a sec! I then kept going and got it to run and immediately took it for a spin to warm it up. It’s now purring in my driveway as i write this.

I guess sometimes they just take some effort to ignite for the first time after a while! I really wish this bike had a kickstarter so i could just kick and kick without worrying about killing my battery… that’s one of its pitfalls I would say. Anyway, thanks so much man. I think that one last deep clean was what the carb needed.
BROOM BROOm
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

Good job. Those tiny passages can be tough to clean but they're very important.

Ok on the premix. Make sure you have purged any air that may be in the pump/hoses. Think there was a link abt oil inj sys on that page I posted.