Getting it ready to sell quick questions.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Getting it ready to sell quick questions.

Post by Ozzimo »

So i sat on my scoot for almost a year before putting it up for sale. I'm lucky enough to be able to sell for a profit right now of about 150 bucks. I got it running last night but not yet ride-worthy. If I could record the sound it makes im sure I could narrow it down for ya but as for now im at work. maybe later. Here's whats up:

I can kick start it up and it idles fairly high. I adjusted the idle screw with what I remembered seemed like the right idle speed. The carb is clean for sure but thats really the only thing I can be sure is complete;y clean and right. Im worried I may have the two tubes coming from the front pice off the gas tank hooked up wrong. Im also worried that my muffler may be gunked up. Lastly Im worried that a lot of people say compression has been an issue for them.

What is the correct way to have those two tubes hooked up

What can I do to clear out my exhaust in less than a day

How can I check/adjust compression with little more than a few simple tools?

Thanks ahead of time for helping me out, got guy coming Thursday night.
Pygmaelion
Goped
Goped

Post by Pygmaelion »

In my experience, the lower port on the gas petcock uses a narrower gauge tube, and is the vaccuum line. That goes to the post on the intake neck. The fuel line is the higher of the two, and runs to the thicker gasoline intake in the middle of the carb.

If you want to be sure, hook up both tubes, and create suction on the lower tube, the valve should open, and fuel should come out the upper tube into a cleverly prepared container.

If I'm wrong about the over/under, then no fuel will come out, not even into your mouth, because you are creating suction on a closed valve.

The muffler... If you're in a hurry, you can spray some carb cleaner down the neck, and get a wad of pipe cleaners and swab it out as best you can. The best way is to kill the gunk with fire (such as, heating it up on a grill, or carefully applying a blowtorch. Chemicals can do in a pinch, however.

You can check compression by taking out your spark plug, putting your thumb over the hole, and pushing the kick starter down with your other hand. Once the piston gets close to Top Dead Center, it'll have the max compression it'll ever have. If it blows your thumb off the hole, then you've got compression. If it's kinda weak, and you're able to hold your thumb on, and it eventually leaks down to neutral pressure... You've got a bad ring seal, and possibly worse, a scored piston.

Generally speaking, if you are losing compression that bad, you'll know because it won't idle, kick over, or do much of anything.
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

update for those with similar issues. cleaned everything i could see with carb cleaner. The most noticable spots that I had issues with were the exhaust which i cleaned out with bottle brushes and carb cleaner and the area near the sparkplus which looked like it had been doused in carmel. I sprayed that with carb cleaner and used the same bottle brush to remove the gunk from in between the fins there. Now runs up to 25 mph and no bogging. I think im back in buisness and thanks to all who over the years helped me with my issues. Have fun out there guys. :)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

the only way to properly clean the exaust is throwiung it in a campfire or giving it a bath in crystal draino. you can get away with a few cans of brake/carb clean. if the tubes are hooked up corretly he bike will run if they arent the bike wont run. you cant "adjust" compression without rebuilding the motor and milling the head
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.