1988 Elite Stator replacement

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wrkey
Noob
Noob

1988 Elite Stator replacement

Post by wrkey »

So I got this bike for my lady and she loves it. Was barely running when we got it and it then it didn't. So, I traced the problem down to the electrical system as the batter wasn't charging and I could not get a spark. Since I wanted the bike to be reliable so I feel comfortable for my lady to ride it, I set about replacing all the electrical components. I've gotten a new regulator, CDI, Coil, Plug, and (what I thought) was the correct stator. The stator I bought has 5 coils plus the spark coil. When I finally got the cover off (had to wait for the puller tool) I discovered that my coil has 4 coils plus the spark coil.

I'm pretty sure the new one I have won't work even though it looks like it will fit. Anyone know where I can get a replacement stator for this bike?

I see a used one on Ebay but concerned I would be replacing one problem with a different one.
Attachments
New Stator - 5 coil
New Stator - 5 coil
20240207_094830.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Old Stator - 4 coil
Old Stator - 4 coil
20240207_094707.jpg (153.4 KiB) Viewed 562 times
wrkey
Noob
Noob

Re: 1988 Elite Stator replacement

Post by wrkey »

More info. The Scooter is a an Elite E model (pink Barbie in color) and I think the original Stator part number is: 31120-GS6-771

Also, it seems that the resistance of the new stator I have is with in the limits given by the service manual. I am thinking that if the 5 coils of the new stator is the power generation portion of the stator then it could be that it would work but just generate more power with the extra coil. However, looking at the positioning of the single coil, I think that is used for the CDI / Spark, it is slightly off position compared to the original. Will that make a difference? Will the new stator I have work?