89 elite front rim on Aero question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

87aero50
Noob
Noob

89 elite front rim on Aero question

Post by 87aero50 »

The front rim on an 86 aero of mine had a very out of round drum so I bought an 89 elite front rim which mounted right up, but isn't quite the same...

The drum dish on the elite rim, towards the brake panel, is about 3/8ths of an inch shallower id say than the aero's leaving the brake assembly pad assembly slightly exposed. I don't intend on riding this scooter in anything but fair weather. Just wanted some input on weather or not it's a bad idea to leave the internals slightly exposed? Seems the pads make full contact with the drum inside. Thanks in advance for any input.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 89 elite front rim on Aero question

Post by Meatball »

Will an 89 Elite brake hub mount up to the Aero legs? Im not familiar with Elite/Aero compatibility is why I ask. I DO know that if the pad is showing, your braking ability is reduced…for which 75% of your stopping power comes from the front. I would definitely want full pad-on-drum up there. Spooky.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

87aero50 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:03 am The front rim on an 86 aero of mine had a very out of round drum so I bought an 89 elite front rim which mounted right up, but isn't quite the same...

The drum dish on the elite rim, towards the brake panel, is about 3/8ths of an inch shallower id say than the aero's leaving the brake assembly pad assembly slightly exposed. I don't intend on riding this scooter in anything but fair weather. Just wanted some input on weather or not it's a bad idea to leave the internals slightly exposed? Seems the pads make full contact with the drum inside. Thanks in advance for any input.
I do not have working/direct knowledge of the Aero either but I believe that if you swap all the parts from the Elite front end over to the Aero it might work but you would have to try it to know. There may be differences in the width of wheel/axle spacing or the brake shoe sizes are too different, or the drums are different sizes and that could make them incompatible. OR you could try a disc brake swap say from a Dio or some other model and just modify it until it fits and works then you're all done! Search out those terms and break out your credit card! What do you have for a budget? :werd: :blah: Check out my thread http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
87aero50
Noob
Noob

Post by 87aero50 »

bonesv wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:44 pm
87aero50 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:03 am The front rim on an 86 aero of mine had a very out of round drum so I bought an 89 elite front rim which mounted right up, but isn't quite the same...

I do not have working/direct knowledge of the Aero either but I believe that if you swap all the parts from the Elite front end over to the Aero it might work but you would have to try it to know. There may be differences in the width of wheel/axle spacing or the brake shoe sizes are too different, or the drums are different sizes and that could make them incompatible. OR you could try a disc brake swap say from a Dio or some other model and just modify it until it fits and works then you're all done! Search out those terms and break out your credit card! What do you have for a budget? :werd: :blah: Check out my thread http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Love the front end swap you did on you elite, I'd love to do that on the two aero's I have at some point! These scooters are not my first priorities and have a limited budget for now.

I already have the rim mounted up which fits perfectly, same axle size and width, nothing was wonky when I mounted it. The pads seems to be making full contact with the drum, I'll have to verify that though. I'm posting a few photos first one is of my 87 aero for reference and the second photo will be the 86 aero that I when the 89 elite rim mounted to. It's kinda hard to see, but you will notice the opening I am talking off because the drum dish doesn't extend as far to reach the inside of the brake panel like the original aero rim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BouH8FyDdrMoPcZRA

Thanks for your input bones and meatball.

I should mention I got the info on this site from an old post where "wheelman" commented the interchangeability of other scooters rims to the aero. He mention that the rim would be a direct interchange between the aero and elites from 87-93 not including the elite "E". Which it does mount up perfectly except for what I am mentioning.
87aero50
Noob
Noob

Post by 87aero50 »

Welp, taking no chances, returning the rim.
Thanks again for the input guys.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Memory grows dim from 2008, but I'm certain I used a Metropolitan front rim on my 1987 Aero. If I recall correctly I just had to use an Elite 1994+ brake panel, because the Aero's front brake was smaller in diameter. I don't recall ever getting a 1987-1993 Elite rim. I wanted the Tubeless Met rim to run without tubes. If the rim fits in every other respect, I'd double check with a parts diagram to see if you put that pesky, hard-to-install spacer on the axle correctly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH