2 scoots that ''sat up'' nq50 ..sb50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

busaridda
Noob
Noob

2 scoots that ''sat up'' nq50 ..sb50

Post by busaridda »

I read allot on this site already and tried many of the things suggested. petcock cleaned, carb cleaned, checked for spark.....all these things seem to be in order. I primmed the bowl and kicked away (no battery "yet"!) Well let me say before all this was done I put a lil mixed gas in the carb through the air box tube and it started....so I am thinking that there isn't any electric problems...cdi plug etc.... OK so after all this was done ...the cleaning of parts still no run.......so I put gas in the air box again and boom it fired up but wont stay running... seems I am getting gas into the carb...well there is gas coming through the tube then stops when the petcock is drained. If the sb50 will run when there is gas applied and the carb is getting gas AND there is spark WHAT THE HECK is going on??? help .... havent gotten to the nq50 yet cant find the keys ........whats a good bypass...hot wire for a 85 with no kick start ......... toggle the black and red wires? well anywho I need a battery for that anyway when I was a kid a older harley ridder told me that it was the cdi after fixing it for me once before.
85 spree, 89 elite, honda tristar,700 sabre......and, a suzi hayabusa :)
busaridda
Noob
Noob

CDI

Post by busaridda »

I was also wondering if I can use my elite e sb50 CDI box on my spree nq50 to see if that is the problem?......('' I wish someone would reply!'')
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

yea, u could try it. its not going to hurt nothing. :wink:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Starts, then dies -- you might take that carb off and double check that the idle jet is open. Its a really small hole in there. Since putting your hand over the carb didn't help, but priming does, it still could be a fuel problem

> whats a good bypass...hot wire for a 85 with no kick start ......... toggle the black and red wires?

Hot wiring the starter - Look at the wiring diagram, and figure how to get the Starter relay coil energized. That way, all the high current side wiring is intact, and you will not need to switch high current with your own hardware.
busaridda
Noob
Noob

Post by busaridda »

I never put my hand over the carb hole/......will that help .i am going to try that and i will open the carb back up once again...but as i was saying before ...gas in the carb through the air box tube would get me running then i opened up the throttle and got a good high running rev for a few seconds.....wouldnt it continue to run with the throttle open even if the idle screw was clogged , blocked or dirty?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Sorry - I didn't see the part about the throttle in your posting, but it probably would keep running if you got on the throttle even if the idle jet were plugged.
busaridda
Noob
Noob

idles

Post by busaridda »

ok putting my hand over the carb air intake now lets it idle .......not perfect but idle...i am going to clean the air filter and so on i also found a lil hole in the air box hole that i am going to try and repair
busaridda
Noob
Noob

up and running

Post by busaridda »

happy to report that the sb50 is up and running.......28 mph with my 285 lbs.......my kids weight a 100 lbs so I am waiting to see what it tops out at
busaridda
Noob
Noob

next

Post by busaridda »

My next project will be the NQ50....cant wait..like i said before a tec 17 years ago said it was a cdi box ...we will see...........no kick start so thats gonna suck need a battery to wear down first.......OH i need a correct way to HOTWIRE that scoot onto a toggle ..i am reading some other posts and tryin to come up with the idea...
busaridda
Noob
Noob

update

Post by busaridda »

Happy to report that this sb50 now goes 32-33 with a 285 lbs load ....i didnt even decarbonize the engine or exhaust ....''yet''
joeweir1
Spree
Spree

Post by joeweir1 »

How did you fix the problem on the SB50?I am trying to fix my 85 NB50.It starts and idle fine, under load it dies.I'm surprised if you covered the carb air flow it would run at all.Carbs need air to run?
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Post by dukemartini »

joeweir1 wrote:I'm surprised if you covered the carb air flow it would run at all.Carbs need air to run?
the carb could be getting air from a leaky gasket?
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten
mossyoakninja
Noob
Noob

Re: 2 scoots that ''sat up'' nq50 ..sb50

Post by mossyoakninja »

Hey... This thread certainly helped me out. My neighbors 50cc scooter does not run, no problem. I can fix that. 1988 been sittiing for a few years. Starts for 10 seconds, dies. clean the carb and new needle jet. same thing , stars 10 seconds dies.
Honda Town in Mpls gave great advice. to clean the port next to the main jet. well any way soaking cleaning, trying, cleaning. trying had the carb apart about 20 dang times.. same thing runs 10 seconds and dies.

Put my hand over the carb. Bam running with some cooridination, but running, sweet, now I hook up the air box(clean the air filter in gas and box) and dial in the jets so it idles nice.

It still starts a hard when left to cool down and have had to repeat the procedure of the hand over the carb to get it to start. am wondering if the auto choke is not working properly, because holding you hand over the carb is just a manual choke yes?

But hey I am running now and making progress.

Thanks.