whining/whistling noise

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

whining/whistling noise

Post by edoggdoremus »

well i just got my honda gyro on the road running good. Only problem is after i get up to 10mph and above there is a whistling/whining high pitch noise. Once up to full speed it kind of goes away but when applying brakes and slowing down it comes back. There is no grinding noise, just the high pitch.

I figure it has something to do with the clutch. Any ideas? Where to start looking?
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

is your crank case(gear/clutch box) all the way full with oil? :? throw up some pics. :D like to c it. :D what year is yours? :?
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

i thought it was last time i checked, i'll check again. It's a 1984, had bent forks and needed to be decarbonized, but i got it back on the road. Post pics when i get them, planning on painting it soon.

Also I think my bystarter went bad. Engine started first try every time before taking apart carb and cylinder, now won't start on cold starts, need to prime it, but runs great and starts good after warmed up.

Anyone know if a Gyro shares the same bystarter as a spree?
Is it possible to put in a bystarter wrong?
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

yea, just take a quick peek at the gear box and make sure its full. the bystarter is the same as a spree. i have a 84 too. cant wait to get it on the road. :wink: just curious, whats the top speed on yours? does it have pretty good take off? :?
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

Just added more gear oil this morning, a little low. Havn't ridden it today though as it is pouring down rain here.

My gyro goes about 33mph on flat. Take off is pretty decent, much better than a spree i think. Has a 2 gear transmission, kind of cool when it shifts.

I am riding with a pretty gunky muffler and a dirty air filter right now though, I'm assuming that cleaning those out will give me a little better performance.

There's also some info out there that replacing the dished piston with a domed piston gets you around 3mph of more oomf. Think i'll order one pretty soon here to test it out.
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

there is still a whining noise. when i apply the brakes it gets louder as the engine quickly slows down. any ideas?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi,
Sorry - been on vacation. Could be the transmission gears. The gears are straight cut on the Gyro. TG50's and NN50's both can whine pretty loud due to gear noise from my experience. I took apart my TG50 w/12k miles to check the clutches and gears. Had another set from a spare engine that I could have swapped in, but the parts didn't look that worn. So I put it back together and am driving it. But the whine is clearly louder than my 1k NN50 Gyro. Its pretty high pitched and clearly audible over the exhaust.

Re Bystarters:
A friend and I have had success using Spree and Elite bystarters in our Gyros. There's been no Gyro bystarters around for a few years....
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

i know this sound. one of my peds is doing this ive led it down to a bad bearing in the final gear assembly. maby u got a bad bearing