carb leak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jayrey0910
BMX
BMX

carb leak

Post by jayrey0910 »

my carb is leaking. it never did this for the year i had it. the gas is coming out the back side of the float bowl were the only way to see it is to take off the carb. i went through the whole carb but still cant find the problem. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

How is the condition of your carb gasket? It could be as simple as replacing this with a new one. Did you check your fuel line to make sure the gas is not coming out of a possible pin hole in it? Check the line from the gas tank to the petcock and petcock to carburetor.
joeweir1
Spree
Spree

Post by joeweir1 »

put a new gasket on.
85' Aero
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

There is a over flow port on the back side of the carb. If your float is sunk the excess gas will come out of this port.
jayrey0910
BMX
BMX

Post by jayrey0910 »

how do i fix the float?
joeweir1
Spree
Spree

Post by joeweir1 »

get a new float and needle valve and replace them.Simple to do.May want to get a new bowl gasket also.Take the bowl off.Should be just a phillips scew holding the float pin in and slide the pin out of the float and remove along with the needle and reverse with new parts.
85' Aero
docmackinnon
BMX
BMX

Try your friendly Honda shop

Post by docmackinnon »

Believe it or not...the mechanics at your local Honda shop are not evil.

I got frustrated, took my carb in to Donelson Cycles here in St. Ann MO.
The mechanic was very friendly- took it apart, showed me how to properly install the float and the tiny float valve...as well as where to clean it.

Took it back to work, at the end of the day I looked at it on my workbench and cleaned it out totally.

Starts well, still trying to get the idle right...but it is running about 20 mph now...slow getting off...but slowly gets up there. Next to drill out the muffler.

Doc
Doc Tiffy
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Here is how to adjust the idle. Let the engine warm up to operating temperature, in other words let it run for a few minutes. Now turn your idle screw either clockwise or counterclockwise until you hear a good even sounding idle. Now go to your air screw and turn it either clockwise or counterclockwise until you hear the idle raise to its highest point. You have to listen carefully because it may not be a real drastic change. When you feel the idle is at its highest then leave your air screw there. Now go back to the idle screw and turn it counterclockwise to reduce the idle down to a good point again. You have now set your carburetor at its best settings. Now leave it alone and enjoy the ride.