Free BBQ sauce to the one who has the answer!!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ahrenv
Noob
Noob

Free BBQ sauce to the one who has the answer!!!!

Post by ahrenv »

I have been trying to fix my 86 NQ50 for the past 4 months and still can't figure out what is wrong with it. I have done the following:

-new piston and rings and jug
-new bystarter
-cleaned carb 50+ times
-float seems to be fine in carb
-have checked reeds and new gaskets around reeds
-new plug(plug chop is brown/cocoa)
-have checked petcock for flooding

The moped will kick over and idle but when given gas will bog out and die. I can drive it but it doesn't more than 5 to 10 mph. I even had a friend who is quite the mechanic take a look at it and he can't figure out what is wrong. I have run out of solutions! I will give a free bottle of my dad's world famous Mississippi Heat BBQ sauce to the first person who can figure out the problem with my stupid moped. I am hoping to get this thing running soon, school starts again next week.

thanks-ahrenv

:twisted:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Check the belt and clutch.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Did you check your muffler to see if it is clogged with carbon build up? Take muffler off and see if it runs better. Did you replace or clean your air filter?
ahrenv
Noob
Noob

Post by ahrenv »

will check the muffler. I also put in new exhaust gasket and new air filter. I have done so much that I forgot the little stuff that I have done to it!!

ahrenv
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

If you put your hand back by the muffler tip while it is running you should feel a good exhaust flow coming out. If not your exhaust is restricted or plugged and that is your problem.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

did you check out the reed valve?
any gap, small as possible can hurt
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
ahrenv
Noob
Noob

Post by ahrenv »

Today cleaned moped just to make sure it wasn't the exhaust. I started it up and the same problem happened, idles great but when I give it gas it revs up and then bogs down and eventually dies. Cleaned the muffler and put it back on and the same thing happens.

When I replaced the gaskets around the reed valve everything looked fine. Do you know of any tests that can be done?

Any other ideas?

Thanks-ahrenv :twisted:
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

How about your carburetor intake. Is the robber O ring in there between where carb attatches to intake? Any air leak between carburetor and intake will also cause your problem.
ahrenv
Noob
Noob

Post by ahrenv »

yup rubber o rings are in place with the arrows pointing correctly.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Okay how about setting your air screw. If you know where it is then try this.If it is idling good after the engine is warmed up then go to your air screw and turn it either in or out until you hear the idle increase. Listen carefully and make sure idle is at its highest point. Leave the air screw setting there. Go back to idle screw and turn it down a bit until you hear a good even strong sounding idle. Your carburetor is now set to go.
ahrenv
Noob
Noob

Post by ahrenv »

Yeah carb is set and ready to rock... Really unsure whats going on with this stupid moped...

i am currently looking for someone who has reeds for sale.... thanks -ahrenv
joeweir1
Spree
Spree

Post by joeweir1 »

Did you read my posts called "Reed valves did it"?I just went thru the exact same thing you have.I posted alot on this sight and alot of people thought is was everything but the reeds.I worked on my 85' Aero 50 for acouple of weeks and tested everything I could and I even pulled the reeds and thought"they look good that little gap won't hurt" WRONG!! I got new reed valve assy from Honda and gaskets and I new it was fixxed even before dropping it off the center stand.I could rev the negine on the stand and pull the back brake on without the bike bogging out.Before it would do it on the stand and while trying to take off on the slightes grade.Don't buy used ones.You could be just asking for the same problem!
85' Aero
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

lol joe is now earned the "certified" reed expert!
sure sounds like a very similar problem!
aloha
D
joeweir1
Spree
Spree

Post by joeweir1 »

I just talked to someone that had an Aero 50 with no power under load and they found their gaskets to beleaking around the reed valve assy. by spraying starter fluid around it while running.So, it pays to check this area out when loosing power.
85' Aero
ahrenv
Noob
Noob

Post by ahrenv »

Replaced reeds today. New gaskets around the reed assembly... stupid moped. still boggs down and then dies. If i cover half of the carb from the air filter box, then it will rev up, with out dying out. Once I stop doing this and turn off the moped it or let it idle to die, it won't start back up for 10-15 min. What else could it be?!?!?! :evil: thanks ahrenv