leaking fuel...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

2fast4u
BMX
BMX

leaking fuel...

Post by 2fast4u »

took my spree out for a decent ride today, about 10 miles full throttle for a good amount of the trip. scoot goes about 25MPH. got home and smelled gas. checked and it was dripping rather rapidly out of a part behind what i believe to be the carb. on a whim, i decided to start the scoot again and turned it off. this resolved the prob... but i wonder, what the heck was that?!? is it a sign of problems to come?
Cold grinding grizzly bear jaws, hot on your heels...
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Not enough information to tell you what might be wrong. Leaking gas is not a good thing on any engine or anything that gets hot. You will have to look closer to see where the gas is coming from. It could be a pinhole or crack in the gas line. I would try and find out where it is coming from unless you do not mind going out in flames.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Oh yes and by the way gas will not flow to your carburetor unless the engine is running. That is why there is a vacuum line on the carb besides your fuel line. It leaks while it is running and stops when it is shut off. Definitely sounds like a hole in the gas line to me.
2fast4u
BMX
BMX

Post by 2fast4u »

Thank you, Hondaman.

Okay, did a little poking around and this is what I have come up with...

1) After riding, when I kill the engine, gas comes out of what I think is the overflow (rightside of carb, back, tiny pipe facing downward). Proabably enough gas to fill a shotglass or two.

2) I think this overflow(?) is supposed to have a tube attached to it but does not. But I did find a loose clear plastic tube, not attached to anything, when I took the panels off for a better look. maybe 3 inches long...

3) Also noticed on carb a tiny pipe coming out of the left side back, facing in (towards the middle of the bike). Looks like it should have a tube over it but does not.

Just to be specific: Gas comes out after I kill engine. Oddly, if I restart it and kill again, problem resolves itself.

Any clue?? And what of this little pipe on the left, back of carb? Should there be a tube going from it to somewhere else???
edjo
Spree
Spree

Post by edjo »

does the gas stop flowing after the shotglass amount?? If so it sounds like it could be either dirty float needle, or the petcock is taking awhile to close after vacuum is gone.
88 elite SA50
07 DRZ436sm
05 FJR1300a
05 Dr200se
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

The outlet on the bottom of the carb should be your drain tube. There should be a flat head screw above it which is the drain screw. Turning the screw clockwise will shut it or close the drain opening. Counterclockwise will loosen it or open it up to drain carburetor of gas. Try turning it in to make sure it is closed all the way. A rubber hose is supposed to be attached here to make it easier to drain gas into a container.
That clear plastic tube sounds like your oil pump connection. It goes from the carb to the oil pump. If that is not connected no oil is being mixed with your gas. Unless someone has changed the lines that is the only clear plastic line I can think of. Are you premixing oil with gas before you dump it in the gas tank. That would be the only way I can think your engine would still be in one piece if your oil line has been disconnected. How long is this clear plastic tube that you are talking about?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

I reread your post and you say its about 3 inches long. That sure sounds like your oil line to me.
edjo
Spree
Spree

Post by edjo »

My Elite carb has 2 clear lines, a drain tube on the bottom of the bowl and an overflow tube on the top of the bowl. They're stock for sure.
88 elite SA50
07 DRZ436sm
05 FJR1300a
05 Dr200se
2fast4u
BMX
BMX

Post by 2fast4u »

Does the oil tube come in from the left of the carb? There is a clear plastic tube coming in from the left already which I believe might be the oil. I've put about 6 or 7 hours on the scoot since it's been running. Can I go that long without oil going to the engine without seizing?
edjo
Spree
Spree

Post by edjo »

Yes the oil tube is on the left side of the carb if you are looking at it from the back.
88 elite SA50
07 DRZ436sm
05 FJR1300a
05 Dr200se
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Yes thats the oil line and no you would not be able to put that many hours in if the oil line was not working or connected. You said there was another clear plastic tube not connected to anything. That might be the hose for the drain outlet on your carburetor although mine is just a rubber hose.
2fast4u
BMX
BMX

Post by 2fast4u »

Is it at all normal for gas to come out of the overflow after shutting the bike down? Am I needlessly worrying? Can I just reattach this hose to the overflow and forget about it or am I in trouble???
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

No, gas should not be coming ouy anywhere. It may be your float needle needs to be replaced or the float itself.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

It could also be like the other previous post said that your vacuume valve is not closing after the engine stops .This mean gas keeps flowing to your carburetor and is not being burned up causing the excess amount to flow out. If thats the case you can check it easily by unscrewing your drain screw and see if gas keeps coming out of the drain hose or drain opening. A little gas should come out and then stop. If it keeps coming out then your valve is stuck open.
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

sounds like a stuck float..
i would do the following first.. take off gas line to make sure the petcock isnt stuck open. A good test is to take off the vacuum line and give it a good suck, gas should flow freely and stop when there is no vacuum. If it passes all of those then take off and give your carb a good cleaning. Now i mean by cleaning, i mean to take it apart, shoot out al of the orifices with carb cleaner and some air would be nice too, check all the jets too. Make sure on your air fuel mixture screw , you know the exact amount that it is open. A easy way is to count the turns to close it, then remove it.
that would be where i would start ...
aloha
D