Rigged up a new air filter.... how do I adjust the carb?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

d4founta
Noob
Noob

Rigged up a new air filter.... how do I adjust the carb?

Post by d4founta »

Using some Gauze and some tape I have rigged up a decent air filter for the time being... until it rains. I need to tune the carb because it bogs out when I try to accelerate.... I want to drive it around tonight so any suggestions would be sweet, Thanks!
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Your bogging problem might be related to your homemade air filter. You really do need a real air filter on there. Here are the steps I use to tune the carb but remember this is when a decent air filter is on.
1. Adjust your idle screw in or out until you hear a good even sounding idle.
2. Now go to your air screw and turn it either in or out until you hear the idle increase to its highest point. You have to listen carefully because it may not be a drastic change.
3. When you feel idle has increased to its highest point than leave your air screw setting there.
4. Now go back to the idle screw and turn idle down a bit until it sounds steady and even. You do not want the idle so high that your back wheel is turning.
Your carburetor is now set to go but like I said you may have to do this all over again once you get a real air filter on there.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

^thats only for idle the main settings involve moving a clip in the throttle assembly.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Moving that needle clip in the throttle assembly is also for making the engine run leaner or richer depending if you move the clip up or down a notch. You normally do not have to mess with that if you set the carb like I said.
diomike
Spree
Spree

Post by diomike »

down and up witch is witch?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Up-lean
Down-rich
Its usually set in the middle from the factory. You really should not have to mess with that needle clip but if you really want to go ahead. If the carb sounds worse just put the clip the other way or back to its original clip setting.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

check the plug first to see if its too lean or too rich
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McPlugChop wrote:check the plug first to see if its too lean or too rich
thats right dude, listen to him. i rigged up this a long time agoand didn't do a plug chop. about 2 weeks later i said by to my cylinder/piston/rings
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.