Tail light bulb filament keeps breaking

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Tail light bulb filament keeps breaking

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Burned through 2 Sylvania 2057's in 2 weeks. Brake filament works fine, tail filament is breaking. Anybody else had this problem? I'm on my last bulb, and if this filament breaks I'm thinking about going with LED instead.

Thanks,

-aseigler
Last edited by CharlotteSpreeRider on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Does it have a battery?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Yes, it's a 1985 Spree, and the battery is good. Only the tail filament is breaking, NOT the brake filament. Taillight turns off properly when ignition is switched off.

Thanks,

-aseigler
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I know there is a resistor somewhere that is supposed to prevent that from happening.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

I honestly think it is just due to the crappy roads here, and my refusal to slow down to go over those long speed bumps at work. I was just wondering if anyone else has found heavy duty filament bulbs or something, or if I should just go with LED. LED is considerably more expensive, but they should last forever and there is no filament to break.

-aseigler
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:I honestly think it is just due to the crappy roads here, and my refusal to slow down to go over those long speed bumps at work. I was just wondering if anyone else has found heavy duty filament bulbs or something, or if I should just go with LED. LED is considerably more expensive, but they should last forever and there is no filament to break.

-aseigler
this is true. when it comes down to it i would go LED, its brighter any way
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

If I can get mine running properly, I'm going to do all this kind of stuff to it. For now, it's just got me on my last nerve.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)