Carburator Settings?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

galesc
Noob
Noob

Carburator Settings?

Post by galesc »

Hey all,

I am new to this forum, pretty new to my 1986 Spree, but am mechanically inclined. So here is the low-down. I brought a Spree with under 800 miles, great condition, from a guy who had it in Colorado. I am from Wisconsin which has a considerable different altitude than Colorado. So the moped doesn't run that well.

I would like to know how to setup my carburetor to be in the right neighborhood for an average altitude.

Heres what is in the carb.

Needle
Slide throttle: 5s B with the top clip set on the very bottom setting

Jet
Main Jet: 68

Screws
Main adjustment screw: 2.5 turns out

Please tell me if I have something out of whack. Also, can someone tell me what needles, jets, and screw settings (turns out) they are running on there late 80's sprees.

The moped runs and idles, but has very little low end acceleration. If I change the needle adjustment to the middle clip setting, I get more bottom end but it doesn't idle at all.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Welcome!

Download the Spree service manual out of the technical documents section of the forum. General carb adjustments are in there.

-aseigler
galesc
Noob
Noob

Post by galesc »

OK, I looked through the service manual and got an answer for my fuel mixture jet setting.

But what I still need to know is what Main Jet, and Needle Jet are for standard altitude operation.

I have a #68 main jet and a needle jet that says 5s B(closest symbol). So, I suspect I have the wrong needle jet, because of the strange symbol. I think it was changed for hight altitude operation.

Can someone please tell me what jet and needle they are running.

Thanks,

galesc
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Do a plug chop to see if you are rich or lean. The idle mix screw on mine is 2 turns out and my needle is set in the middle posistion (i have a three slot needle) with a stock 65 or 68 (cant remember) jet.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
galesc
Noob
Noob

Post by galesc »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Do a plug chop to see if you are rich or lean. The idle mix screw on mine is 2 turns out and my needle is set in the middle posistion (i have a three slot needle) with a stock 65 or 68 (cant remember) jet.
I am not sure what you mean by plug chop. I have been checking the plug to see if it is running rich or lean, but maybe you mean something else.

What is the identification on your needle, with the three slots?

Thanks,

galesc
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

i have no idea but what color is the insulator inside your sparkplug?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
galesc
Noob
Noob

Post by galesc »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:i have no idea but what color is the insulator inside your sparkplug?
Light brown.

Does anyone know what the identification is on there slide needle. I would really appreciate if someone took the time and popped there's off real quick and checked.

Thanks,

Casey
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

light brown is a good color you needle is set correctly. Also dont expect a spree to blast off like a rocket and throw you off the seat, they arent very powerful. Have you decarbonized your muffler? It may be your problem. Have you checked to be sure the air filter is in it?
galesc
Noob
Noob

Post by galesc »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:light brown is a good color you needle is set correctly. Also dont expect a spree to blast off like a rocket and throw you off the seat, they arent very powerful. Have you decarbonized your muffler? It may be your problem. Have you checked to be sure the air filter is in it?
I know what you are saying, I know it's not a powerful machine. The only reason I am wondering about the needle is that my spree only runs when it is set on the lowest level. So I am suspecting I have the wrong needle in the carb slide.

I have not decarbonized my exhaust yet, how do you do it?

Thanks,

Casey
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

There are 2 ways fire and chemical. Chemical involves throwing it in a lye bath for a few hours. There are 2 fire methods.
1. throw it in a camfire wait until the fire goes out and the muffler cools down to cold then clean it with a garden hose.

2. http://www.scootertherapy.com/mufflercleanpage.html
galesc
Noob
Noob

Post by galesc »

I would like to thank everyone that has posted to this thread, I really do appreciate it. But I find it hard that this thread has been viewed over 150 times and no one here knows what main jet they use at average altitude states on a 86' Honda Spree. Or no one has played with there needle jet and saw what the numbers were on that.

I thought for sure someone would know this stuff off the top of there heads.

Well, thanks to all that helped.

galesc
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

What is the needle jet and wat does it do? Does it need to be cleaned ever? I thought the spree only had a main jet and had no pilot jets or anything else?