Another carb problem I think?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

Another carb problem I think?

Post by HarleyRon »

Ok, My 85 will only start with starting fluid then I take off and go about 20 feet then abruptly dies and will not restart. I have 2 carbs and I'm having the same problem with both. I have good fuel flow to carb. Air box is there with good filter. I have cleaned both carbs and blown out all passages with compressed air. Choke is also new. Any thoughts??
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

i had this problem and it was the plug.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

Post by HarleyRon »

Ok, I have determined that I have clogged idle jet and 100psi air won't blow it out. Guess I'll soak it tonight and try again tommorrow. This could explain the starting issue.?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

HarleyRon wrote:Ok, I have determined that I have clogged idle jet and 100psi air won't blow it out. Guess I'll soak it tonight and try again tommorrow. This could explain the starting issue.?
this is a pretty weird problem, let us know how it turns out after u soak it.
projects galore :nerd:
Sparrow
BMX
BMX

Post by Sparrow »

I'm having the same problem! I was told by the friend I bought it from that the choke will just allow more fuel in while driving it and causes it to flood out and die. He's not sure what allows the gas in, but says I need a new one. I just figured I need a whole new choke. Do I not? Whaddya all think?
1986 Special Edition Spree...very girly.
1976 Chevy Nova.....very granny
2000 Chevy Tahoe....my girly truck
2003 Subaru Forester....hubby's sporty snow smasher
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

i would clean the carb first. its worth a shot and it will probably fix it. its not hard as long as u kno what ur doing.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

Post by HarleyRon »

Ok, after soaking carb again last night and blowing idle jet with 100psi I cleared the obstruction. I reassemble and it cranked good, ran for 30 or 40 seconds then died like starving for fuel and again trouble restarting. Guess I should go back into carb and clean again. Is anyone running an inline fuel filter?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You should run an inline filter.

For all you guys with Spree that run 40-60 seconds, then die, two things to check:

1) Idle jet needs to be clear! Use a toothpick to clear it if necessary! The choke shuts down after a minute or so, and this may be why it only runs that long. Any idling to that point was just gas getting through the main and choke carb jets.

2) Check to make sure the fuel petcock is working properly. Pull vaccum on the lower line and ensure fuel flow.

These carbs are a b*tch to get to work right. Mine is plugged from sitting over the winter and doing exactly the same thing. I fully expect to find a blocked idle jet. We should probably look for an aftermarket replacement that would bolt up...
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

My idle jet clogged two times after my first cleaning (it was definitely clear after the first cleaning) and required additional cleaning of course. I had new fuel and vacuum lines and a new fuel filter. Then a new problem arose which you might want to check on yours. The chamber of the float bowl into which the choke pickup tube submerges is connected to the main float bowl reservoir by a small opening (est. .020"- tiney,jet size). This opening was blocked and no gas could get to the choke pickup tube, so the bike would not start. Theoretically, if this is partially blocked and an insufficient amount of gas is present, it could cause the symtom you describe. It's a long shot, but make sure that passage is clear!
HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

Post by HarleyRon »

Ok, I cleaned the carb yet again. Now my spree will start and run but it idles irratically. Not by just a few hundred rpms but jumps around to sometimes very high rpm and then after a few seconds there will idle good then back high then too low and dies. When the heck??
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

sound like the air screw is not set correctly.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

Post by HarleyRon »

I set the air screw at 1 and 7/8 turns out from seated when I was have the irratic idle problem. I did notice the more I screw the air screw in the high the idle reaching highed idle with air screw all the way in.
HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

Post by HarleyRon »

Bad typing on that last post, I will restate:

The idle got higher the further the idle screw was screwed in, reaching its highest idle with the idle screw all the way in.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

are u sure u didnt adjust the throttle screw? the air screw is the small set in one below the throttle screw.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

Post by HarleyRon »

Yes, I'm certain I as to which is the air screw and which is idle screw. Today, I tried to start the spree and I'm back to no start again. Tries to start but not quite as if idle or choke jet is again clogged. I just can't believe this carb is clogged up again. :x